CHAPTER 12.

Busted lip

Busted lip

Bruised cheek.

Swollen Eye.

What the...

"Dee Dee" Eve quickly moves to the other sofa, sitting next to Damon "what happened?" She cups his face, gently probing his bruises.

"Fuck" he winces when she runs her thumb over the side of his bruised right eye "I'm so sorry Vee Vee for not showing up last night. After I left campus...I mean before I left campus, I got jumped"

I eye him, waiting for him to start explaining but he doesn't get to because Eve cuts in.

"And here I was thinking that you stood me up last night. I'm sorry"

"No, I'm the one who should be apologizing. I should have called or texted to let you know about what happened" he presses his lips on her forehead "please let me make it up to you"

She shakes her head "you need to rest. You don't look okay"

"We don't have to go out. We can go to my house. I want to spend time with you before I go back" he brushes the hair on her face, leaning in to kiss her.

"Okay" she gently cups his cheek and they lock lips.

Why can't my relationship be like this?

Why hasn't Ben texted me or called me?

My eyes begin to well up. I drop my gaze to my lap, taking a deep breath and then let it out slowly.

I need to get out of here.

"I'm going to head home," I tell them.

The sound of my phone ringing fills the air and I take it out of my back pocket.

I stare at the screen as my phone continues ringing, Ben's name flashing on the screen.

Relief and anger wash over me.

"It's him, isn't it?" I look up and find Eve's eyes already on me "don't answer it"

Yes, I'm upset but I'm still worried. I need to know if he's okay first, then I can be really mad at him.

Maybe he has a good explanation like Damon. The least I can do is hear him out.

"Don't tell me you are thinking of taking his call"

I blow out a breath "I need to know if he's okay" I stand up from the sofa, excusing myself.