CHAPTER 23.

The moment my eyes open, memories from last night thrust themselves into my mind

The moment my eyes open, memories from last night thrust themselves into my mind. I expect an ache to follow but instead, the feeling of disappointment consumes me. And it's not disappointment towards him, it's disappointment towards me. For trusting him. For doubting my gut instinct. For believing all the lies he fed me. For being naïve.

Everything makes sense now. The times he'd go AWOL on me and never reach out. The fight, the fucking fight! I can't believe it was all a damn lie.

And Paul...

We've been friends for so long, how can he do something like this to me! I trusted him. I thought he cared about me...I guess I was wrong because he watched Ben play me and didn't say or do anything about it...

"Babe" Eve's voice draws me out of my thoughts and she wraps an arm around me, spooning me "are you okay?"

After turning to her, I study her face, searching for emotions but I find nothing.

"Eve, why didn't you tell me that Damon was cheating on you?" My gaze remains on her eyes, examining her. Still, I find nothing "you should have told me"

Sighing, she looks up at the ceiling, sinking into her thoughts "Love is so messed up" she murmurs "you give your all to a person expecting them to do the same, but instead, they do the opposite" exhaling, her eyes find their way back to me "I honestly don't know how to feel. I'm not as hurt as I was when he first cheated on me. I don't think I'm hurt, just...disappointed in myself for believing him. For giving him a chance. For settling for less than I deserve"

"I feel like I failed you as a best friend. You've always been there for me, but when you needed me, I wasn't there for you. I'm such a shitty friend. Babe, I'm sorry"

She shakes her head, placing her hand over mine "you didn't fail me, Cass. I kept everything from you"

"Why didn't you tell me? Eve, I tell you everything..."

"I was in love. I let my feelings for him blind me. I saw what I wanted to see and ignored the truth. Remember the night he stood me up" I nod "I was suspicious. I almost opened up to you about everything...I wanted to..."

"Then why didn't you?"

"You were going through your own shit. The nightmares and Ben ignoring you. I just couldn't..."

"You also have your shit to deal with but I tell you my shit and you deal with it. What's the difference?" her gaze lifts to the ceiling "no matter what I may be going through, I'll always be there for you. Stop hiding things from me. Do you know how horrible I feel knowing that you were hurting and I wasn't there for you?"

She lets out a soft deflating sigh "you are an amazing friend. I know for a fact that if I had told you, you would have talked some sense into me and I probably would have ended things with him. So, don't feel bad "