CHAPTER 18.

With Eve's leg and arm draped over my back, I attempt to slip out of bed without disturbing her, but she clings to me tightly

With Eve's leg and arm draped over my back, I attempt to slip out of bed without disturbing her, but she clings to me tightly. "Eve," I groan in a futile attempt to free myself.

"I don't think I'll wake up anytime soon. You can shower first," she murmurs, her arm maintaining its firm hold around me.

"Move your arm and leg," I insist, trying to untangle myself from the sheets.

She whines, reluctantly shifting to the other side of the bed.

As I prepare to enter the bathroom, my gaze falls upon my duffel bag on the floor, placed neatly next to the door. Eve must have brought it to the room.

Snatching the bag, a rush of memories from last night floods my mind, and I lean against the door, my thoughts unraveling.

Blake.

The emotions I witnessed in his eyes. No pity, just raw pain. And the way he held me...his arms around me felt like a shield cocooning me from the encompassing misery.

A gentle knock on the door breaks me out of my thoughts. I step aside and open it.

"Good morning," Miss Handerson's lips stretch into a warm smile, and her eyes briefly glance at the bed "Oh, I'm sorry, you were still sleeping. I didn't mean to wake you up."

I shake my head. "I was already awake. I'm about to take a shower."

"I'm making breakfast. You can join us downstairs when you are done."

My lips curl upward "Thank you." She walks toward the staircase, and I close the door.

After a refreshing shower, I find Eve awake, diligently making the bed.

"Finally awake," I say, drying my hair with a towel "I didn't think you'd wake up any time soon."

"At first, I didn't want to, then I heard Miss Handerson talking about breakfast," she walks over to me "How are you feeling?" she examines my face, her voice softening with concern "The nightmare," she whispers the last words.

"Did Blake tell you about what happened?"

A frown touches her lips "When I came back from the kitchen, I saw you guys. I'm happy that he was there for you." This time a small smile graces her lips. "He likes you, babe," she states, and I roll my eyes. "Cass, I'm serious. Did you see the way he was looking at you last night when he said he's in love with someone?"

"Yeah, he's in love, but not with me," I argue.

"Babe, you want to tell me that you felt nothing when he held you last night? Can you honestly say you didn't sense that he likes you?"

"Anyone would have held me; I had a nightmare."

"Yes, anyone can hold you. But Blake wasn't just holding you. He was shielding you."