CHAPTER 28.

I can feel my stomach sinking as we wait for the plane to take off

I can feel my stomach sinking as we wait for the plane to take off. Inhaling a deep breath, I take out my phone that's now on airplane mode, trying to keep myself busy but it's no use. My heart begins to race the moment the engine starts roaring.

I hate flying.

I've never been a fan.

Planes make me so uncomfortable.

"Are you still okay?" Eve examines my face. I nod regardless of all the nerves that keep crashing onto me "I'm here" she says stifling a yawn "I'm so tired" she yawns again "I think us having a movie marathon last night was a bad idea"

She rests her head on my shoulder and I watch her slowly fall asleep.

When the plane rises, my eyes squint shut. Blake takes my hand into his, interlacing our fingers. The contact causes my heart to pound frantically, drumming within my ears. I swallow, looking away not wanting him to see the effect he has on me.

I can never put into words how he makes me feel nor explain the way my body always reacts to his touch...to him.

"I got you" he gives my hand a gentle squeeze. I lift my gaze upward, finding his eyes already on me "I'm guessing you are not a fan of flying" he speaks wearing a smile on his face.

"I'm not" my voice wavers and I sink with nerves.

He brushes the back of my hand with the pad of his thumb. I swallow, looking down at our hands. It's a small gesture but it causes my heart to jackhammer its way through my ribcage.

How am I supposed to ignore the feelings I have for him if my body keeps reacting to him?

For the past few days, I have been keeping my distance from him. And by keeping my distance from him, I mean...making sure that when we are all together, I don't sit next to him...and avoiding making eye contact with him though my eyes would always seek for him. Even though I was able to keep my emotions at bay, it still didn't change the way my body responds to his presence.

I just wish there was a way to switch off all these emotions.

"This always helps to calm me whenever I'm feeling anxious or nervous," he says, using his other hand to take out his earphones and insert them into his phone.

He brings the earphones to me. As soon as I place the squishy tip inside my ear hole, forest sounds fill my ear.

Breeze

Leaves rustling.

Waterfall.

Birds chirping.

The sounds travel through me and I sit back in my seat feeling relaxed for the first time since I stepped into the plane. My nerves are already slowly disappearing.

He looks at me "is it helping?"

I nod, smiling up at him "thank you"

"Put both of them and close your eyes" I do as he says, feeling my body finally loosening up.