CHAPTER 21.

Eve and I run down the hallway, rushing to the lab

"Guys, wait up" we slow our pace so that Bree can catch up with us "thank god, I'm not the only one who's late"

"Mr. Travis will be so upset. Today we are doing an electrochemistry experiment" Eve points out and we stand outside the lab, peeking, checking for empty chairs.

"I can't believe that the only seats left are there ones at the back" I continue peeking "everyone is already paired up in groups of two. Shit"

"The longer we stand out here, the more time we waste" Bree pushes the door and we walk inside. All eyes move to us.

"Sorry for being late, sir" the three of us whisper in unison, our eyes hard on the floor.

"And what's the excuse?" He folds his arms across his chest, walking over to us.

Eve and Bree reply in unison but their responses are different.

"Traffic," Eve says.

"We ran out of gas," Bree says.

"Traffic, you ran out of gas, which one is it?" He lifts an eyebrow.

I clear my throat "we ran out of gas. After we went for a refill, we got stuck in traffic"

"Lies" Erica coughs into her fist.

"So annoying" Eve murmurs passing Erica a dry look.

"I won't tolerate this in my class. The only reason why I'm letting it slide it's that you're always on time" he hands us the register and we sit down.

Eve is the first one to sign it. Erica follows. Then me.

"Good morning, sir" the sound of Blake's voice radiates through me, dancing in the pit of my stomach and I suck in a breath, exhaling calmly "I'm sorry for being late. I had to help out my mother with something"

"Like I already said to the girls...I hope this is the last time. I don't tolerate late comers" he motions for Blake to sit down.

Blake takes the last seat next to me and I slide the register to him, internally cursing at myself for not sitting next to Eve.

"Evelyn, you'll work with Brenice. Cassalia, you'll work with Blake"

The goal was to ignore Blake but how the fuck do I do that when I have to work with him? I swear the universe is against me.

Blake moves his seat close to mine and I keep my eyes fixed on the chemicals on the table.

Don't look at him.

Don't look at...

Of course, my eyes betray me and look at him. Our eyes lock and the heat traveling through me spirals.

"Hey," he says with a small smile.

"Hey" I quickly return my gaze to the table.

"Since you guys were not here, I will explain again" Mr. Travis's voice soon becomes a blur and my mind takes me back to everything that happened yesterday.