chapter FIFTY SIX

*casually updates after 2 weeks*

Also all my chapters are unedited hahaha

Lucas took a deep breath.

"Where were you?" His father asked him in a tone that had a worse impact on Lucas' heart.

"D-dad--" he tried but all that came out was a stutter.

His dad's words cut him short. "I can't care any less about where or whom you hang out with until the question of 'why' arises. I know it's that girl from the other day's party."

The brunette widened his eyes and shook his head.

"No- I was with Sean-"

"All I want to know is What do you have going on between you and that girl?" His dad's face was unreadable, but Lucas could tell he was upset to no end.

"I swear we have nothing going on!"

"I see." He scoffed. "Now you're taking her side. Didn't you see how your brother restricted himself from the low class people?"

It felt like the temperature had dropped down so low that Lucas' feet were frozen on the spot, just staring at his father's disappointed face.

The one thing everyone knows about Brady Carson Clark, a.k.a Lucas' dad, was that his priorities included his work and work and work.

Oh and did he mention pride in his work?

And constantly comparing Lucas with his brother was slowly turning into a day to day ritual that would probably never come to an end.

Even though he had all the witty replies sorted out, this day was entirely different.

Because Lucas' body was trembling at the mention of his relationship with Claire. He didn't know it himself

"No, dad," he started. "She's just a friend of mine."

"Who turned into distraction?" His dad asked in a toxin tone.

Claire wasn't a distraction. Her affection was for he hadn't received something that he would endure for.

He shook his head slowly.

"It wasn't her." He paused. "It was.. art." Thump, thump, thump, and thumping harder and harder, Lucas' heart beat rose. "Yeah, I spent.. most of the time painting."

A look of unexpected terror washed over his face when his dad suddenly walked over to all of his drawings arranged neatly in the corner of the room.

"These?" He gritted his teeth, pulling out one of the delicate sheets.

Lucas barely nodded and before he knew, his dad was ripping it off into pieces.

Heart crumpling, eyes glistening, a wave of sorrow hit his chest so hard because it takes... Ages to complete one drawing. And just few seconds to rip it.

It takes ages to build up trust and a second to break it.

"DAD!" He screamed, lurching forward and pushing him away and standing in-between like a wall. "Don't- please- don't do this!"

"I had warned you, didn't I?" He asked.

"Please, stop!" He screamed when his dad walked around collecting all the art supplies and carelessly throwing it into a box he randomly found lying around.

"Brad?" Lucas' mum knocked on the door, interrupting the situation. Her eyes scanned the room. "What will you have for dinner?" She asked instead.

"You can make the choice." He replied, not even sparing a glance.