Chapter SEVENTY THREE

It's been tough times in the book, yeah? Here's a light hearted chapter for yall.

"He what-?" Nate's eyes grew wider.

"Yes. He knows." Claire pursed his lips as Nate went back to staring at the email with his jaw on the ground and his heart pounding real fast. "He threatened me."

"What the fuck— I can't believe he got to know."

"And I can't believe you aren't behind it."

"I what?" He looked up. "You thought I'd help him expose you?"

"Exactly what I had in my mind."

Well, there goes the thoughts she had earlier. Nate really had nothing to do with the whole matter. The fact that he was speechless after listening to what she explained about the billionaire himself, she was convinced that Nate was innocent.

Then, how did the devil find the potion for immortality?

Still unknown. And Claire was really disappointed, yet, there was a warm feeling that settled down in her chest after holding an actual conversation with Nate after an extremely long time.

"So you're telling me you didn't get in touch with Wesley to expose me to Brad?"

"..no? Why would I do that?" He handed over her phone back to her after reading the email and just sat in silence.

"Oh, okay."

They stared at white, and nothing but the white snow, in which their covered legs were buried and the temperature made it its mission to cease every drop of water existing. The two sat next to each other, until they decided it wasn't worth the peace.

"I apologise for-"

"I'm sorry about-"

They started, at the same time, and immediately biting their tongues as they did so, a sigh leaving Nate's lips. "I bet you didn't know Wesley is Brady's older son, and Lucas' brother."

She spat out water she wasn't even drinking. "What the fuck?"

He chuckled, "Brady Clark probably found the pictures in his son's closet."

"How do I believe you didn't do it?" She questioned.

"You sent my brother to prison. Here I am, next to you, listening to your love story, yet again." He snorted. "I don't care you don't trust me, but remember, you were the one who broke mine first."

She looked away, gritting her teeth together. "You were begging me to save your brother."

"Because he's my brother." He reasoned.

"A monster." She swallowed the lump that began to form in her throat. "He deserves to rot for what he made me do."

"You did it. You didn't even fight back and did as told."

"You weren't any different."

He took off his beanie and threw it onto the snow covered ground in frustration. She saw it and quickly reached forward to pick it up and throw it at his face.

"You idiot, it's cold out here."

"You're the idiot." He threw it back at her, but she caught it mid air. "You left me for the Adam guy, who, by the way stole my girlfriend."

Claire narrowed her eyes at him. "We were thirteen, move on."

"Are you happy with him?" He yelled. "Does he make your day as better as I did? You were pathetic to walk away."

She reached forward and put the beanie on his head. "Wear it, asshole."

"No!" But he kept it on.

"I walked away because I was afraid of your brother's return."

Didn't know when it had turned into an argument, but they surely knew that if it continued, it would never find its way to the end.

"No, you just wanted me to suffer in the humiliation of being a murderer's brother, and have the school talk about me in a disgusting manner. You made yourself seem innocent, but I was the one who was caught up with the bitterness of accusations thrown at me every second of the day... while.. I hadn't done a single thing."

The frustration got deeper into their minds, and Claire stood up abruptly, kicked snow at Nate, while he gasped as he was caught off guard.

"Shut up. Just shut up. My mind can't cope up with everything going on."

"How dare you?" He stood up as well, taking in a handful of snow and throwing at her, without a warning.

"Are you insane?" She growled, dodging the shot. "Nate, you'll die in my hands."

"Nah, coward. You're too weak for that."

And that's how Claire climbed into her bedroom through her window because Chandler refused to open the door after looking at her disheveled self and assuming that she totally punched Nate in the face.

She got out of her wet clothes instantly and changed into something warmer so she'll stop shivering. By then, Chandler had tried breaking down the door a couple times. More like, kept banging on it for her to open up. He was truly astonished about Claire climbing up a floor.

Her parents were back home, but they cared less about the chaos echoing throughout the house. They just saw it as "cousins bonding".

Claire finally opened the door, and he barged in, closing it behind himself. She rolled her eyes.

"Spill." He commanded.

"He ain't involved." She said.

"Then? What took you so long?"

"Nothing."

But she smiled softly.