chapter SIXTY THREE

Chapter 63

"Sean?"

Sean flinched as soon as he heard his name being called out and turned around to face a suspicious Claire.

"Oh uh.."

"What are you doing here?"

Claire looked past Sean, spotting Nate and her eyebrows instantly creased together.

"He's drunk. And I was afraid he'd do something bad." Sean explained, looking away from Claire's gaze. When he noticed that Claire was unconvinced, he lowered his voice and said, "I was the one who uploaded that video. And I regretted it right after. So I.."

"You did that?" Claire frowned, her tone stern. "How dare you? Where did you get it from?"

Sean gulped.

He knew this was bad. But he couldn't help himself. Nate bullied him, and it was getting worse everyday. He would pick on him when no one was around.

Even Nate's presence had started frightening him, and he didn't want to turn into that coward who would run from his problems. He just wanted to give Nate a taste of devastation.

"I regret it because I didn't think twice about you being in there. But I'm not sorry for what I did to him." He said, hoping Claire wouldn't ask him anymore. He didn't want to give Connor away, as he was the one who had taped the video.

"What about Lucas? Why did you take him home?"

Sean snapped his head up at that and widened his eyes.

"Hey, he was getting bullied. And I couldn't stand there and watch him."

"Oh." Claire let out a sigh and tried straightening her jacket. "Well, thank you."

"..you don't have to thank me." Sean spoke in a small voice which almost went unheard by Claire. She gave a surprised look.

"Okay then. Move, I have to take a smoke."

Out of all places, was this the only place Claire could smoke? Sean refused to move, and shook his head.

"No! Not here. Don't you see there's Nate here?"

"So?"

Claire rolled her eyes at his words, because he sounded stupid and she didn't give a flying fuck about Nate who was in a place she usually comes to.

"Claire, he's drunk."

"Exactly why it'll be fine. He's drunk and might pass out anytime."

She wasn't having this anymore and pushed past Sean and into the terrace, while panic rose up his chest.

"Oh no, no no no." He mumbled. "There's no one in school. What do I do?"

Sean just peeped through the door, he was almost peeing his pants because not even a minute ago Nate had threatened to ruin her but now Claire was making her way towards him.

To his amusement, Claire snickered at the drunk and helped him up while he almost passed out on her shoulders.

And let's just say she unexpectedly took Nate back to his house and Sean was shook out of his mind.

-----

It was next day that Adam, Claire and Hailey were hanging out like how they used to, until Connor and Sean decided to join them during the lunch.

They took their usual table and almost ate quietly except for the loud ones, who were Connor and Hailey.

Sean was unusually silent but he thanked the lord that no one noticed. Or so he thought.

"Sean, everything alright?"

He looked up to find Adam staring at him.

"Yeah." He nodded. "'s good."

"Do you not eat lunch? All you did was sip coke."

Sean let out a chuckle. "I had a heavy breakfast."

While everyone were indulged in conversations, Claire was immersed in thoughts, switching her phone off and on constantly and being fidgety with her hands.

She didn't know where Lucas was the whole day, she even checked the library and tried calling him. But he neither answered or replied her texts and it was upsetting Claire to no end.

It was no surprise that Nate was absent.

But everything about Lucas' absence was bothering Claire.

"Where's Lucas?" She asked, looking directly at Connor who shrugged his shoulders.

"He hasn't texted me." He informed.

Just as she wanted to go around searching for him, Lucas appeared in the cafeteria with a grin as soon as he spotted the table.

He happily took a seat next to Claire and smiled.

"Sorry, my phone died, and I was in lab."

She looked at him with an unreadable expression. "What about your dad?"

"..He bought me food and we went home."

"T-That's it?"

"Yes."

He was lying. He didn't want to. He has never lied to anyone, and lying to his favourite person hurt him.

Lucas was internally tearing apart. Whatever his dad wanted him to do, it wasn't possible. His dad can't stop him from being with who he wanted to. And knowing Lucas, he was scared but with Claire beside him, he thought everything was possible.

He felt like he could count on her.

"Are you sure he didn't hurt you?" Claire cupped his cheeks and looked him in his bright blue eyes.

"He.. he can never hurt me. You're here. You said you'll protect me." He smiled.

"I will. I promise."

She did promise that she'll protect him. But can she?