Chapter SEVENTY

The end so close.

She looked into his eyes, pulling her hand away. "We've been to one date. It wasn't even a date after you dad dissed me in that party the same day. I mean, you invited me to that formal event. I don't think we ever claimed each other as a couple."

"It's not too late, though." He said, his frown never leaving his face.

"Late for what?" She questioned. "To be these girlfriend-boyfriend couples?"

He nodded frantically. "Yes it isn't. That way, we can still kiss, hold hands, hug and .. touch each other." She wanted him so badly. So badly, that staying here for one more minute would hurt her. But she was ready to go through that pain. "Tell me, do you want to be my.. girlfriend?"

She immediately saw the red creeping up his ears, his tongue licking his lips wet and his blue eyes piercing its gaze into hers. All she did was lean forward, pushing him into his back and climbing on top of him. She dipped down and placed her lips on his fragile one.

Will the chaste kiss stay, or will it be gone by the end of the day? Will he be able to feel it again and again until his lungs give out and he loses his mind?

"Such a brave boy." She praised him, cupping his cheeks, and he held onto her jacket as if his life depended on it. "You asked me to be your girlfriend, such courage, where did you learn from?"

"You." He simply answered.

He pulled her in for another kiss, as if she was his drug.

But she refrained from giving in and instead whispered, "But, are you ready for a commitment?" He fell silent because.. he never thought about it. He never thought about whether he really wanted to be in a relationship and go through thick and thin. He never wondered whether he was okay with it. "Knew it."

She pulled away, and in one go, opened the door and stepped out.

"Claire?" His lips parted. "W-where are you-"

"You're not ready." She turned back around, her bag around her shoulders. "To be honest, I never expected you to be."

"No, wait-"

"Go to class, Lucas." She rarely used his real name.

Lucas stood there, watching her walk away. It felt empty in him. And this was the first time he really felt so weird, like he never wanted to feel it again.

.
.
.
.
.
The end.

Kidding.

***

"Adam." Claire sat down next to him, the cafeteria filled with chatter and talks. Their attention towards someone who was trying to charm everyone present. But Claire didn't care enough about it so she decided to stick to talking to Adam.

"Long time no see." Adam muttered sipping his coffee, "Welcome to the table where I sit alone."

"Alone? Hailey?"

"With Connor."

"Oh."

Claire looked at her palms, fidgeting with her fingers and being restless.

"Where's Lucas?" He asked, looking around, and as if on cue, Lucas walked into the cafeteria, and took the table farthest from theirs and opened up a book. "Why.. why is he-"

"Donno." She cut him off, sighing.

"Okay then." He didn't ask further questions, but knew that she needed to be left alone and that when the time arrives m she'll be the one telling him voluntarily because something in the air definitely didn't smell right. "My dad hasn't been home in five days."

She looked at him. "Sounds good."

"It's never good when he comes back, though." He shrugged.

"Always come over, you know."

"Yeah."

They sat in silence, because all they do is that. Neither of the two liked talking and preferred silence over words every time. And they hated being involved in teen talks about who fucked who or anything else for that matter.

"Vacation plans?" Adam asked while playing with the brim of the coffee cup, trying to make conversation because he remembered Sean saying it's not good to sit idle and that interaction can help him form better sentences.

It wasn't nice of Sean to point out the little problem Adam faced while forming sentences and just limited himself to two worded talks, which only Claire understood most of the time. But it was nice that Sean to noticed it.

Really, wasn't hard to figure it out, but anyways.

"Uh, room. Nothing more nothing less."

"New year?"

"..let's meet up."

"Okay."

The talk fell again, Claire sighing in the end before two loud familiar voices interrupted their thoughts.

"Guys! It's snowing!" Hailey rushed to their table with pure glee, while Connor trailed behind her.

"It's so pretty outside!" He said, a wide grin on his face.

Adam and Claire shared looks, going back to sulking.

"No wonder the temperature dropped so low." She muttered to herself, before snatching the coffee cup fro Adams hand, and taking a sip from it, while Adam looked not even a slight bit fazed.

Out of every conversation she held with everyone on the table, something always distractingly pulled her thoughts to the back of her mind where all she could think about was, Lucas.

If only he knew why it was a necessity to walk away, he would have gladly accepted it.