chapter SIXTY FOUR

Chapter 64

I have a month holiday. Enjoy.

It was weird watching Lucas fidgety and at the same time it was adorable how he talked in whispers. But it was totally disappointing when he said he was busy and won't be hanging out like everyday. All Claire looked forward to do was meet Lucas, which was the only reason why she attended school regularly.

She drove herself home, all alone and threw her bag on the floor, taking a seat on the couch. Her mother instantly walked into the living room and took a suspicious glance at her.

Chandler must be working in that cafe he wanted a job in.

Unbothered by her mother, Claire plopped her feet up on the table in front of her and stared at the blank tv screen, not making any efforts to switch it on.

"While you're at it, why don't you tell me what your relationship with that boy, Lucas, is?" Her mother asked and her ears perked up at the name.

He came home almost everyday and greeted her mother with a sweet smile. If anything negatives about Lucas, Claire wasn't gonna stay and listen.

But why? Why did she wanna know?

Thinking about it now, Claire didn't know what relationship she had with Lucas, she never asked him to be hers. So now, what was Lucas to Claire? Just someone to steal kisses and admire the beauty? Someone to protect or.. someone to just replace her past?

"I.. I don't know?" She answered, her eyes going a little bit narrow at her mother. "Why do you ask?"

"I was just.. curious, I guess.." her mother sighed and handed an unopened envelope to Claire. "Hope you don't bring home trouble."

..everything about today felt so odd. Everything and everyone around her, including herself. The day couldn't get any more out of the ordinary after looking at this folded paper containing something that she knows would ruin everything.

This wasn't right. It didn't feel right.

"What is this?" She asked, her heartbeat slowly taking its pace.

"Someone came around and handed this to me. Asked me to hand it over to you. Told me it was important."

"..Oh. Okay." Claire nodded and stood up to take a leave to her bedroom.

"Claire,"

"Yeah?"

"They also told me it's about Lucas."

Claire's breath hitched.

"Okay."

She made her way to the bedroom with a straight, emotionless face and closed the door behind her. She opened it up and turned it upside down so that whatever was in there would fall into her hands. And they did. They were pictures.

Pictures of Claire kissing Lucas in the school.

She shouldn't give a fuck about this, because she didn't care any less about whoever was trying to threaten her with these. What made her eyes go wide was, while flipping through the pictures, they turned into something so unrelated to Lucas at all.

But she was in there. Doing something she shouldn't have.

She gulped. "Fucking hell."

She threw them across the room with such force that they scattered around the floor. A groan left her lips as she fell on her bed and held her face in her palms.

Her phone in her pocket went off and she flinched, while pulling it out with slightly trembling hands. She scrolled through her notifications until her gaze fell on the mail she had received.

Who uses mailing nowadays anyway?

From: Clark
To: Claire Cooper

Dear Claire,
Don't you wish, that it still remained a little secret of yours for few more days? Unfortunately, it's come into my notice that you were involved. You've been exposed.

But do not fret, I don't intend on giving you away. Your secret will remain safe with me...until you stay away from Lucas. He doesn't need to be included in this mess. It's best you do not try to contact him ever again.

I wouldn't try anything if I were you.

With respect,
Brady Clark.

Claire's hold on her phone tightened and she threw it at the nearest wall.

Respect? What respect? This is a fucking threat.

"It's a trap, it's a trap, it's a trap." She breathed, trying to calm her nerves down. She felt suffocated, so unrealistic and so much as if someone had her wrapped around their fingers. And that someone was Lucas' father.

She couldn't believe this. How did he find out? Where did he get them from?

How will she.. tell this to Lucas?

She couldn't think straight, felt like her lungs were refusing to take in oxygen.

Pale.

Distraught.

Weak.

Should she text him? Should she call him?

Her eyes widened. There's only one person who knows about this. The only person who would give this information to Lucas' dad was.. Nate. And he was also nowhere to be seen today. Was it because he was helping Brady come up with this stupid plan?

"Nate Moore." She clenched her fists. "Would you dare to do this?"

This is insane and she knew it. What's the worst that could happen? Seeing as his father holds a very strong position, he can hire men to kill Claire. She would rather die than stay away  from Lucas.

There was a knock on the door. "Claire? What is it about?"

"It's just a letter from Lucas." She gritted her teeth, quickly bending down to pick all of them and dump them in her drawer so that her mother wouldn't find it. She'll decide later what to do with them. She opened the door to her mother standing there, a concerned expression etched over her face. "I.. I'm going out to buy.. a pen."

All she wanted to do was get some real fresh air away from all the bullshit. Looking at the way Claire glared intently at the floor, her mother didn't question her further.

Claire walked out of the house that day, without her jacket, or her phone.

She just wanted a plan. A plan that would sort this out.

Y'all can follow me on Instagram if you wish to: @inzaynly.art (ik weird name, I was 14. Also I post art there.)