chapter FIFTY NINE

Heyyyyyyy
Long time lmao.

This chapter isn't my best work, so please bear with me lmfaaaooo

Have a good day, loves x

Lucas knocked softly on the door
before slowly opening it and peeping in. He scrunched his nose when he took in the foul smell of smoke.

"Claireee?" He called out, looking at the siad person near the window just letting out puffs of smoke from her lips.

"..Lucas." she turned around to face him. "Come in and close the door."

Her gaze travelled down his clothed not-so-skinny-frame, looking at his rich jacket and his red face.

He looked like cooked meat, and she was hungry.

"Okay." Lucas nodded and did as he was told. "You weren't in school today." He came and took the place next to Claire on the floor and handed her the food. "You shouldn't be smoking."

"Eh."

Lucas frowned and leaned forward to grab the cigarette straw from her fingers, but she moved away, resulting in more frowning.

"Gimme that. It's enough of smoking today." He huffed.

"I only had 8, lemme finish this."

Lucas' eyes popped out of its place and he gasped so dramatically and loudly that Claire stopped what she was doing for a second and took a look at him.

"8?! Are you kidding me? Let that go!" He screeched making her wanna close her ears

"Goodness. Let me have this last one, I'll let go."

"No! Let it go now!" Lucas' frown deepened.

"Lucas-"

"I said now!" He huffed again. "Or I'm leaving."

Claire blinked her eyes at his dramatic self and sighed. "Okay, fine."

He smiled.

"Leave."

His frown came back.

"Claire."

"Lucas?"

"Why do you smoke? It's really bad. I mean it's bad bad. It'll ruin your health." then what will I do without you?

"You can say.. I smoke to loosen myself up."

He stared at her.

"Does it really have that effect on people?"

"Sometimes. When you really need it."

"You still shouldn't."

"Okay, dad." She eyed him and chucked the cigarette butt. "Tell me what happened in school. Did anyone hurt my boy?"

"Your boy? No. No one did." He giggled. "I didn't see Nate Moore. Turns out he never showed up to school. So no one hurt me."

"Oh." Claire responded, and looked away.

There was something that felt heavy inside her. Something weighing on her shoulders.

But she felt numb. Numb than usual. Emotion less even.

She stared down at herself.

"Claire?"

"Yeah?"

"Why weren't you in school?"

"I didn't want to go."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

Lucas nodded unsure whether he should believe her or not while she just looked like she wanted to fall apart.

So he slowly slipped his hand into hers and intertwined their fingers together. She didn't look up, but a small smile appeared on her face.

"Today.. there was a commotion near the abandoned bench. There were flowers everywhere on it." He said, trying to remember the details. "It's that day of--"

"--Vincent's death." She stole the words right from his mouth. "I know."

"Oh." His lips formed an 'o'. "Well I've been in this school since forever and no one ever knows how he died. They say it was a suicide."

Claire tensed, her fingers reaching for another straw of cigarette only for Lucas to grab it before she could.

"I knew it." He mumbled. "Something is wrong. Tell me."

"Nothing is." She tried, but his hold tightened on her and he pulled her closer.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me. But be honest with whether you're okay or not."

Silence.

Lucas' heart shattered when she just looked everywhere but him and worded out "I'm okay."

"Is it related to Vincent?" He asked. "Because.. I know how he really did die. It was in a car crash, my brother's best friend was involved."

"It was a murder." She said, Lucas forgetting to breathe. "He was murdered and it was Nate's brother who did that."

"..how do you know that? Wasn't this.. a secret?"

"Nothing ever remains a secret now, does it? The silence will break one day. His death will be justified."

He turned to completely face her and stared into her eyes curiously.

"How did you know--"

"It's for me to know and for you to find out."

"Claire-" Lucas sighed. "My brother was involved into this murder. Please, just tell me how do you even know this? Was Vincent your family?"

"Vincent was my love." She whispered, breath hitching when his hand left hers. "My first love. My first best friend. He was the light on my darkest days. But now.. now he's the darkness."

Lucas let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. This was so much to take in. He came in, in the hopes of having fun like always. But this.. this wasn't what he had expected.

He didn't know what to say, so he let her speak. Because it had been only three years since his death.

"His death took a toll on my life and Nate left me."

The door to the room opened ever so slightly and Chandler watched them. Watched the scene unfolding and Claire opening up to someone for the first time in three years.

Lucas was the one.

"Nate left you?" Lucas scrunched his eyebrows.

"Nate came along as a trust worthy friend when Vincent and I were seven. But do you know what? I was weak back then. I couldn't save Vincent from the bullies and.. most importantly.. Nate's brother. Turned out, his brother was drunk and was dared to do so."

"I know." Lucas lowered his head. "He was dared to hurt Vincent. But he didn't mean to be the death of him."

"So I sued him." Claire mumbled. "I sued him a year ago."

Claire's eyes glistened, and she looked away, trying to hide her tears from the other.

"Then you came along. And I knew. I knew I had to protect you. I was weak and helpless and no one cares about me. But now they fear me. I can- I can p-protect you--"

Lucas held her face in his palms and pulled her close to him.

"I like you." He said. "More than ever. I like you even though I know I won't be the Vincent in your life. He'll hold the crown. Now don't be so sad, I have never seen you cry, never."

"I'm not crying." She said, tears rolling down at a fast rate and falling on Lucas' hands.

He giggled at her. "Sure."

He leaned in and placed a kiss on her lips and pulled away to giggle again.

"Come back." She grabbed his shirt and pulled him onto her again and kissed him sweet. "You're so beautiful, baby."

"I know."