The winter dance part 1

Every class went down the same: people stared, I noticed, Lucas didn't. Emma was at school but she didn't look at me once, same as Chris. I didn't know which one upset me more, even though I didn't want anything to do with Emma anymore, it didn't change the fact that she had been my best friend for years and now she just wasn't, and as for Chris, I felt a weird mix of guilt and anger when I thought about him. One thing was for sure though, I still wanted Chris in my life but I definitely didn't want anything to do with Emma.

The bell had just rang, announcing the end of the last day of school for 2 weeks. I was the first out of the classroom, well aware that if I wasn't quick I would get trampled on. Last period had been one of the classes I didn't have with Lucas, so I was especially keen to get out of there. I kept my eyes on the floor as I awkwardly weaved my way through my schoolmates, the bell had only just rang and the halls were already filled with excited students, ready for Christmas break.

I eventually managed to squeeze my way outside and into the parking lot. The rain had stopped basically as soon as I'd stepped into school this morning so I didn't bother getting my umbrella. My car was one of the closest to the building which I was thankful for, I only had to walk a few steps before I was safely hidden behind my dark windows.

My mom would want to take me shopping and to fix my hair as soon as I got home, so naturally, I took my time getting out of the car park. The cars behind me didn't appreciate it, but I didn't care, I hadn't appreciated the people in them talking about me and Lucas all day, whoever they were, I knew they'd been party to the gossip.

Traffic was bad, as usual, which took up even more time. By the time I got home it had been 45 minutes since school officially ended. My mom scolded me for a while, but eventually -when she realized she was only taking up more time- she dragged me into her car and drove us to the hair dressing salon first.

I went to the hair dressers pretty regularly, but only ever to get my ends trimmed and a couple of times to get a blowout.

I didn't see much of a difference after it was done but I pretended to be amazed by how much better it allegedly looked, according to my mom who probably just wanted to make herself feel better for blowing $30 on nothing.

Next I was dragged through several popular teen stores in search for a dress. I felt guilty for spending all of my mom's time and money on a dance I wasn't going to attend just to keep up with my lie that I wasn't loosing my mind. So in maybe the 17th dressing room I'd been in all day, I sent Lucas a text telling him I wanted to go to the dance. He replied straight away, more excited than I'd expected.
So that was it then, I was going to the stupid Winter dance after all.

"That's the one! Yes yes yes!!" My mom clapped excitedly. I didn't bother checking which one of the hundreds of dresses I'd tried on she had finally chosen, I'd mentally checked out after dress number 36. "Great!" I sighed, just excited to get home.

I'd spent more time in that day with my mom than any other over the past 5 months. I enjoyed her company, but I couldn't say the same about all the dresses and hair and makeup.
I was sat in front of her vanity, staring down at my nails while she curled and braided my hair. She'd explained what she was doing but I hadn't paid much attention. My makeup followed, and again, I had no clue what was going on. I just wanted to get to the dance so I could leave after an adequate amount of time.

"Oh my goodness" my mom grinned stepping back. She's just glued on a pair of thick false eyelashes and applied mascara over the top. Judging by the smug expression on her face, she was proud of herself, that made me feel a confident enough that I didn't look like a complete clown. "Blakely...You look stunning" she gasped as if she hadn't done the whole thing herself and was only seeing it for the first time.

Opposites attractOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara