Chapter Fourteen

Asaya's POV

I wake up in a wooden box. It's dark, and I'm running out of air. As fast and hard as I can, I kick a hole in the top and climb through. A bunch of dirt falls into my face. I start digging my way through, breathing as slowly and little as I can, until I get through six feet of dirt and the sun shines in my face. I blink, tears coming to my eyes from both the sudden brightness and the dirt in my eyes. Was I buried?

Oh.

I died.

I remember that, now.

I stabbed myself.

No. I died in Dean's arms. My wings are probably burned into his skin. Dammit, Dean! Why did you have to care so much? Why, why did you bring me back? How did you even find me? I scream into the nothingness before looking around.

I'm in a field, all the grass around my grave dead. There are no other graves in sight, no trees, no stores or anything that looks inhabited. Nothing moves, not even the grass. There's just a grave on the ground, the one I was in, a ten-foot circle of dead grass around the grave, and then live grass for as far as I can see. I search my pockets to see what I have, but there's nothing. I'm wearing a dress.

"REALLY DEAN? A DRESS? THAT'S WHAT YOU BURY ME IN? I SWEAR DEAN, WHEN I GET BACK TO SOUTH DAKOTA, YOU ARE SO DEAD! YOU TOOK ME FROM A CASE, YOU MADE ME SCAR YOU, YOU BURIED ME IN A DRESS! YOU DIDN'T EVEN BURY ME RIGHT! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO SALT AND BURN MY CORPSE! WHAT IF I HAD TURNED INTO A VENGEFUL SPIRIT? I COULD HAVE TURNED INTO THE THINGS WE HUNT!" I yell at nothing, screaming nonsense until I can't talk anymore. My voice comes out in a scratchy, deep voice. I sit down on the ground and start to panic.

How am I going to get back? I don't even know where I am. And I don't have a car, or a bike, or any means of transportation but my legs. There are no roads, no sidewalks or pathways anywhere.

I slap myself. This is no time to panic. I have to find out where I am and how to get to Bobby's.

I stand up, not realizing I sat down, and start walking. I go to what I think is the north. I walk for a long time, before I step in something wet and gross, and realize I stumbled into a small pond. That's perfect! Well, almost. I search the ground for a piece of paper, but, finding nothing, pick a blade of grass. This'll have to do. I take my moon necklace off and slit a small hole in my wrist with it. I pull out a paper clip. Yeah, I know, it's weird to have a paper clip in your wrist, but it comes in handy sometimes. I stick the blade of grass with the paper clip. I carve N, E, S, and W into the grass with my nail. I rub the charm of my necklace over the paper clip, from south to north, and place it in the water. It turns until it points north. I guess I was wrong earlier. I was actually going west, oh well, it got me to the puddle.

I pick up the paper clip and fasten my necklace back around my neck. I clip the paper clip onto the string that holds my necklace in place. I guess, yeah, earlier I said I'd never take it off, but what I meant was I'd never not touch some part of it. Luckily for me, it's magnetic, so I was able to make a compass. Handy trick I learned in a girl scout survival camp Bobby made me take when I would have been in fourth grade, if I went to school.

Yeah, I know the boys did elementary, middle, and high school, but Bobby homeschooled me. There was too big of a chance there'd be a case they took in South Dakota or somewhere nearby that we'd meet at school. I'm not dumb. I know how to work computers, I can do almost any kind of math, I know Greek, Spanish, French, Czech, Romanian, Latin, and Dutch, I know the history of every city and state in the United States, and then some in Canada and other countries, I can read and write, in fact, I've been reading chapter books since age five, and I've written several books. They've gotten published by a friend of Bobby's, but they're not popular with many people. They're published under a pen name, of course. I know how to handle money, American and otherwise. I know how to pay bills, buy a house, get a credit card (though I've never had one with my real name), and many other things that normal people do in life. I pulled in some favors, got a copy of several college final exams. Passed every single one, no trouble. No big deal though. That was when I was sixteen. I know more now. I wonder what I'd get now.