Chapter Thirty Eight

Asaya's POV

The dripping is driving me crazy. 1, 2, 3, 4, drip. 1, 2, 3, 4, drip. I can't figure out where the noise is coming from.

I make no attempt to escape, assuming the thing is watching me.

I know now he's not a demon. My next guess is shifter, but how he could change his eyes like that confuses me.

I'm left alone to think.

I think about all the cases I never solved.

The vampire-werewolf case I was working before my brothers caught me and I killed myself.

The thing we ran over after I crawled my way out of my grave.

More from my past, more that I couldn't solve or people I couldn't save.

I think about what Fate told Cas and I. About me becoming queen of Hell.

Crowley is king of Hell, currently. Does that mean I marry Crowley? I feel no attraction to him whatsoever. Do I kill him and take over, or just take over? Does he give the position to me? No, that's too uncharacteristic.

I pray. That might give me a chance.

Dear Castiel,

I'm being held somewhere in Missoula, Montana. I'm being tortured by what I think is a shifter. I can get out easily, but he's watching me and I don't have anything to kill him with. I know you're pissed at me for lying to you and all that, but please help Evan. I don't care about myself, but Evan won't take my disappearance easily. At the very least, make sure he doesn't come after me.

Love,

Asa

I don't know if he hears or not. From what I could tell before the lights went out, the place is warded against angels, but not correctly. Close enough that it should weaken Cas a tad bit, if he were to come, but not close enough that my prayer shouldn't get through. It is correctly warded against demons, however, so that makes me feel a bit better.

I sit, and I wait. After a while, I stop thinking. I just listen to the water.

I can't decide if the water is comforting or bothering. I know it's not fast enough to fill up the room and possibly drown me, so that's comforting. But it's the only sound I can hear except for my own breathing, which is slightly discomforting. So I talk to myself.

I know the shifter can hear me. So I say nothing that could give away my identity. I tell stories.

"Once upon a time, in a small village in France, there was a girl, a girl named Belle. 'Belle' means beauty in French, and a beauty she was. She had pale skin, like vanilla ice cream. Her hair was brown like the bark of an oak tree, and her eyes were as blue as blue can be. Her voice was prettier that a nightingale's song. Her father was a merchant. He often went to other towns to sell things for money for him and Belle to survive. Belle's mother had died of the black plague after the girl was born..." I drift off into fairy tales my mother had told me as a small child. I say 'Beauty and the Beast', 'Cinderella', 'The Snow Queen', and so, so many more.

When I finish 'The Princess and the Frog', I can no longer speak. I have been talking for hours on end, sometimes singing songs Mom used to sing to me. But I have not used all of my energy. I start crying. I let tears slip down my face as much as they want. I can hear myself sniffle every so often. I cry for, by my count, an hour and three minutes. When I can't cry anymore, I tap my hands on my lap over and over until my wrists are swollen.

Then I stop. I listen to the water some more. I decide it's comforting. The shifter could leave me to silence, except for my breathing. But I will not crack and tell him what I'm hiding.