Chapter 29

Asa's POV

I'm in Bozeman, Montana. I'm so weak, I can barely move. I'm in a hospital. I used the last bit of my grace to transport myself here, but apparently I walked out of the woods covered in my own blood, my back bleeding as well as my neck, and in some other places. Someone took me to the nearest hospital.

I'm awake, they just don't know. I squint my eyes enough that I can see the people around me.

I see the man who brought me here. He's small, rather skinny, and looks familiar, though I can't place my finger on him.

He's listening intently as the doctors explain something to him, something that I barely catch.

"-and there's major damage to the scar tissue, the spine, and-" the voice fades again.

I close my eyes.

Why

     Is

          There

               So

                    Much

                         Pain?

"Hey, stop, that tickles!" Dean giggles as I rub my paintbrush over his skin. I laugh and dip it into a different color.

"Chill, I'm almost done," I respond, painting his face hot pink. "Done!"

We walk out of the bathroom, my hands with a bit of paint on them, my brother entirely covered in paint. I pull him into the living room while laughing, and I shout 'TA DA!' My mom bursts out in laughter, and my dad comes rushing into the room. He starts shouting at me, which screeches my laughing to a stop. Dean cowers behind me, and I curl myself into the tiniest ball I can to avoid getting hit much. I do get a sharp smack on my back, however much I try to avoid it. Mom runs to stop Dad from hitting me, and he does. He can't take the chance of hitting her.

"Asaya, why did you paint your brother?" My mother asks gently.

My back stings like hell, as I've heard my dad say, but I manage to say "I wanted to, and he said it was okay, so I did!" without whimpering.

I can feel blood pooling on my back, and I unfurl so it won't get on my shirt and show. That would scare Dean and get my dad in trouble with Mom.

We run upstairs to take a bath, and I use my water crayons to color all over the bathtub. Dean scrubs himself off and splashes me with water, which results in a splash fight. We laugh and laugh and get water everywhere, and when the bathwater turns cold, we get out and dry off. I dry the floor so I don't get in trouble again. Even at four, I understood what I could and couldn't do.

My twin and I get dressed in our pajamas. We climb into our bed, and Dean wraps his arms around me. We fall asleep like that, small, innocent kids who had no idea about the horrors about to come to them.

What the hell was that? I remember that happening, when Mom and John were still alive, when I still called John 'dad' and thought him hitting me but not Dean was normal. That was so long ago... woah. Am I dying? I've never had a flashback in my life, and I've read from Dean's mind that Heaven starts out with your best memories but...

No. There wasn't a reaper, so I can't be dead. Just fading.

The demon has me sit down backwards in a chair and say the spell to make sure my wings are visible. We're in my apartment's bedroom, Cas asleep next to me. The demon chants as she drags the knife across my back, tracing my wings before finally cutting them off. I bite my lip so hard it bleeds so I don't scream and wake up Castiel. He would stop me immediately.