Chapter 27

Asa’s POV

I lied to Cas. I’m losing control over my emotions, so I don’t feel as sorry as I should. I’m not looking for a job. I’m doing something nobody can know about.

I’m researching ways to cut off my wings and give away my grace.

I’m trying to turn myself human.

I’m not doing it entirely selfishly. I’m planning, well, trying to find a way to give my wings to Castiel. I know how to give my Grace to him, but my wings? I don’t know how to cut them off without possibly killing myself. I know angels have had their wings cut off, but never has an angel cut off their own wings. 

I’m at the library, where I’ve been for hours. I’m at a table by myself, about twenty seven different books strewn open across the table. As of this second, I’m rubbing my temples, trying to get my head to stop hurting. 

The book I’m reading is called The Truth About Angels And Demons. They got some stuff right, like salt and holy water hurt demons, but they also said that there’s more ways to kill a demon then holy fire, the knife, and angel blades. But. It. Tells. Me. Nothing. About. How. To. Cut. Off. My. Wings. AHHHHHHH!

I don’t scream out loud. That would make me look so crazy to all these people. But I feel like it. The most I do is groan in frustration.

“Can I help you there, dearie?” A woman with a faint Irish accent appears behind me, making me jump. I can feel her pressed against my wing. Of course, she couldn’t feel them, but I could feel her. 

I smile politely. “No thank you. I’ve read all these books front to cover, so I’ll just go. I should probably, you know, get some rest,” I say, making my voice bright.

She pulls out a chair and sits next to me. “What’s your name, darlin’?”

“Elizabeth Cristo,” I say, watching her carefully. She flinches slightly, almost imperceptibly. She looks down but I catch a glimpse of black eyes.

“Why don’t you come to the back with me? I think we have something you need,” she says, smiling. I tighten my grip on my angel blade in my jacket, and stand up to follow her.

She takes me to the back, and when we’re out of sight of the humans, I pull out my blade and put it under her chin.

“Woah, woah, there. I’m a friendly demon, you can put that away now,” she says.

I lower it, but I don’t drop it or put it away.

“I know what you want,” the demon says, “And I know how you can get it.”

No.

No, there’s no way a demon could possibly…

But what if they could help me?

The angels never figured out everything the demons know.

Do they know a way to turn me human again?

“How?” I ask.

She laughs. “It would be very painful, for both you and your human friend Castiel. There’s a small chance of it turning you into a demon, but it would save Castiel and you wouldn’t be an angel anymore. We demons know stuff. We know you hate being the way you are now. We can help you.”

No. It’s a horrible idea. I can’t possibly-

“What do I have to do?”

Cas is going to kill me.