Chapter Thirty Four

Asaya's POV

"So there was no one they all knew, none of them went to the same school or church or anything. There's basically no connection between the victims, except the place they died. The thing must be in the campground." Evan talks rapid-fire, while I pace around the room. We've solved the case, almost. Now we just have to kill it. But that's a problem, as we're only one step ahead of my brothers.

It's midnight. As far as I can tell through their motel window, both boys are asleep. If we don't kill it now, someone else might die, or they'll kill it tomorrow.

I pick up one of the flare guns. "Well, I guess it's time to blow-torch this sucker."

He nods, picking up his flare gun. The gas and matches are already in the car, but we've kept the flare guns on us.

The park is closed when we get there. There's a sign saying no campers are allowed here while they try to kill the 'bear'.

We climb over the fence, using my hunting jacket to press down the barbed wire. The fence makes a noise, but hopefully not a loud enough one to lead the baykok to us.

We creep into the campground. There's nothing here except a few hills.

I go up the one of the hills and kick it a few times.

"What are you doing?" Evan whisper-yells at me.

I turn my head slightly, still kicking. "There's a chance, albeit a small one, that it's smart enough to have disguised it's home."

He sighs and starts copying me until I hear a branch crack and a thud from Evan's direction. I turn fully and see him lying in a hole. "Guess you were right," he shrugs.

I help him up and click my flare gun into place so it'll shoot the moment I pull the trigger. The gas and matches are in my coat pocket, though Evan has a smaller thing of gas and more matches just in case.

We dig around the cave for a while. It doesn't appear to be home. I sit down in a shady corner, and so does Evan. So we wait.

And we wait.

And we wait.

After hours of waiting, the baykok crawls back into the cave, a trail of blood dripping from it. I get as clear a shot as I can, and I shoot it thrice with the flare gun. It screams and Evan comes from behind it, smashing it up into bits. We collect the bones, putting them into a small pile. I cover the pile in gas, and we watch as the monster goes up in flames.

I write a note to my brothers.

Dear Winchester boys,

Sorry if you thought this was your case, but I guess you weren't quick enough. We killed it for you.

Sincerely,

Other hunters

I leave the paper on top of the pile of ashes. Hopefully now the killings will stop. Those poor people though. At least they didn't feel any pain.

We sit down on the cold stone. Usually, on the hunting part of our hunts, we don't talk. But sometimes we do. This isn't going to be one of these times, clearly. I know he wants to talk to me, I can feel it. But I also know if I don't say anything, then neither will he. We'll talk later.

"Asa?" Ev says carefully. Or I could be wrong. That works too.

I don't look at him. "Yes?"

"Are you going to talk to your brothers while we're so close to them?"

I sigh. I can tell him anything. I can tell him anything. He won't judge. "I want to. But I'm not going to. I'm not going to talk to them unless they can know who I am, and they definitely cannot. God, it's such a problem Cas knows, we need to be somewhere else. I need a new identity. But it'll be okay, kid. I promise."

I used to say that to Sam, when he was just a little baby. Whenever he was crying, I'd sit right next to him and say 'it'll be okay, kid, I promise.' It would usually make him stop, and he's look up at me with those big, innocent brownish baby eyes, and I'd think about growing up with him and watching him go to college and be such a smart kid, and how many games we would play, and how Dean and I would teach him poker, which was one of our dad's favorite games.

"Asaya?" Evan says again.

"Yes, darling?" I suppose I do treat him like my son.

He snuggles closer to me. "Can you tell me about my parents again?"

When I was an angel, there were a few times I would go up to Heaven and talk to Evan's parents. Now, I tell him about them when he misses them.

"Your mom is beautiful. She has the most blonde hair I've ever seen, and she has these perfectly greenish-blue eyes. Her voice is soft but strong, demanding to be heard even though it's not loud. She's very funny, and playful, and always invites me into their house for tea. She's tall, but not quite taller then me. Your dad, however, is an inch taller then Dean. He tells me dad jokes, and treats me like his kid even though I'm not. Honestly, he loves playing catch." I sigh. "Did you know they share a Heaven? Yeah, and when you die, you'll be in there with them. That's very special, and very rare, three people in one Heaven. But they've told me they don't want to see you there until you're old. You have a very special family, Evan. I can't wait for them to see you again."

He's silent for a moment. "I'm already with my family, Asa," he says.

Oh.

Oh.

He... cares about me? Someone cares about something as worthless as me? I'm flattered, honestly.

I suppose I do think of him as my brother, or my nephew or something. I do think of him as family. But I didn't know he felt the same way about me. I didn't think anyone thought of me that way, as family. I thought I was an extra.

I hug him, holding him next to me for God knows how long. The sweet boy.

"I love you, Ev."

"I love you, too, Asa."

We stand up and walk out of the cave. My mind is elsewhere, so I walk right into a trap. And suddenly, I'm hanging by my ankles, looking at my brother upside-down.