Chapter 23

The Winchester girl and Castiel are confused. Of course, they don't know who I am. My sisters are more the media type then me.

"Who are you?" Castiel says, and I see the tip of an angel blade peeking out from under his sleeve.

I wave my hand, and two angel blade come flying towards me. One from each angel.

"Correction," the Queen-to-be says, "what are you?"

I laugh, and summon a chair to me so I can sit. This is going to take a long time to explain, and they're not going to like it.

"Sit," I say.

Both angels sit down in chairs, the injured one turning hers around so she's not leaning on her broken wings.

I watch both angel's faces as I explain the story to them. Castiel's face transfers from confusion to concern to disgust, not in that order. The Winchester girl looks horrified the whole time. Nothing I say to them is a lie. I tell the two about why the angels saved her, and about how I brought her back, and how she's going to be the queen.

The older angel can't accept it. He argues with me, demands I change her fate, tries to bargain, saying he'll do it instead. He tries everything he can think of to avoid her becoming queen, but I apologise. I cannot change fate, only make it happen.

The newer angel sits in silence while her brother argues for her. I could, of course, read her thoughts, but I do not. Her thoughts are written in her eyes.

She goes through a stage of denial at first. I watch her eyes as she tries to think of ways to get out of becoming Queen, but there's nothing she can think of that Castiel hasn't already.

Then she tries to reason with herself. It can't be so bad, ruling hell, right? She's still an angel, so she can defend herself against attackers. She won't become Lucifer, she tells herself. She'll be a good angel, update Heaven on what's going on down there. It'll be okay.

Last come the questions.

Why her, why is it her that has to become Queen? What's so special about her? Why did the angels not know this? Why did she have to be born? Why can't someone else be Queen? Why can't she stop hurting her family?

Castiel looks at his friend desperately. "Asaya? A little help here? You can't go to hell."

That would destroy me. More then me, it would destroy Dean.

Cassie, it's not your fault. I can go to hell. Both my brothers did, right? Oh wait... you think I can't handle it, don't you?

What? No. I just.. if you went to hell it would be on my watch. It'd be my fault for losing you a second time, just like it was the first.

Castiel, that was not your fault. That was a bad decision I made, and I'm sorry. But it wasn't because of you.

They think their conversation inside each other's heads is private. Oh please. Darling, I'm the strongest fate. I hear any conversation I want to hear.

I can do this, Cas. I can handle it.

No. I can't let you.

"Let her?" I say, looking at him. "You can't 'let her' do anything, because you never had control over what she does or did. Only she has that power, angel." I say the last word like an insult.

"You can hear us?" Amriel says, alarmed.

I laugh. "As your friend here likes to say, don't ask stupid questions. I am the strongest fate. Of course I can hear you."

Castiel grabs his friend's shoulder, tries to disappear into the future, into their time. I laugh at the angel's expression as nothing happens.

"Why can we not leave?" Castiel growls.

"Because, darling," I say, "I want to talk to you a bit more. No matter what you do, Castiel, Amriel will always end up as the Queen of Hell. No matter what details you change, what you do, whether you lock her up or you let her run free but under watch, I will find a way to make her Queen. It's only fate." I wink at them. And suddenly they're back in their time.