FIVE

some people just want to watch the world burn

WHAT WE'VE MISSED

Landon elbows my side, causing me to groan. "Lena, Lena look." He says.

I look down at his lap, seeing the knife glow a bright red. "What's happening?" I ask. "Your girlfriend didn't mention this thing glowing." I whisper.

"She's not my girlfriend." He snaps. "And if I knew why it's doing this, do you think I'd be waking you up?"

I roll my eyes, seeing it glow even brighter. "Okay, it's getting a little too bright." I confess. The thing only gets brighter and brighter. "Landon, make it stop!"

"I-I can't!" He yells. "Lena!"

"Landon!"

NOW

I open my eyes slowly, seeing a pacing Landon. "What are you doing?" I groan.

"Trying to figure out how to get out of here alive." He snaps. "What about you?"

"Trying to stay safe in this humble cellar." I say, shifting my self on the ground. "Come on, just take a nap until she scurries off."

Landon scoffs. "Lena, she's not going to! She breathes fire!" He yells. "You're my sister, Lena, but you're really dumb sometimes"

"Landon, just give me the knife."

"What?"

"I said give me the damn knife!" I shout. Landon stumbles back, surprised by my anger. "We can throw it at the fire breathing bitch and get the hell out of here!"

Landon shakes his head. "I-I can't."

"Why the hell not!?"

"I don't know!" He snaps back at me. "I don't even know when I took it!" I sigh, looking around. I purse my lips, exhaling sharply. "I'm sorry, Lena, but I don't know what we should do."

I nod. "Yeah, that's usually my job." I give a short laugh, tears running down my cheeks. "It's all my fault."

Landon frowns. "How is any of this your fault?" He asks.

"I killed Phil and dragged us into Rafael's life, I got Raf and Cassie together, I'm the one that let him drive her home." I snap. "I caused us to be here. One way or another it all leads back to me."

Landon shakes his head. "Lena, you did nothing wrong. You saved me from that sick bastard." He says, cupping my teary-eyed face. "You are all I have. You're my sister. It will always be you and me." He hugs me tightly, rubbing my back. "So, what are we going to do now."

Sniffling, I brush my hair out of my face. "We are going to-"

The cellar door opens.

Landon tosses me behind him, the only time he's ever been that ballsy. "Raf?" He asks.