TWENTY SIX

let's just finish the dance

"So, looks like you and Lizzie are having fun,"

Hope and I practice our dance with the rest of the contestants. "If you count having to read binders and binders of information on Miss Mystic Falls, then yes. I'm having loads of fun."

Hope giggles as we do another round of the dance. "At lest you're not going with Roman anymore." She shrugs warmly.

"I can't believe you were so nice to him," I say, "After everything you told me he did to you and to your family, I'm just surprised you haven't killed him." I explain.

"It's complicated."

Landon rolls his eyes, walking by. "He spent half of his life desiccated in a cave. And then he was brainwashed by his mother, who was a literal Nazi."

"He's spent the last two years doing really good work for the school." Hope points out.

"Your mother is still dead. How does any of that exonerate him?"

"It doesn't. But it's in the past. Leave it."

I sigh. "Landon, please go," I snap, Hope and I swapping hands.

"No," Landon scoffs. "I suffered through how much torture because I stole a knife, and this guy has a hand in the death of your-"

"Landon, stop." I snap. Things around us shake as Lizzie grabs Hope.

"Come with me." She says to my girlfriend. Lizzie looks at me. "You, go pick out a nail color." She turns to Landon. "You, do nothing."

Landon and I stand side by side, and I turn to look at him. "Can't you ever not interrupt my relationship?"

I begin to walk off, and Landon rolls his eyes, following me. "Don't you think it's weird she's not burning him to the ground?"

"No, actually. I think it's understandable."

"How!?" Landon scoffs. "How does any of that-"

I spin on my heal, my brother bumping into me. "Hope has been through a lot, just like us. The only difference between her and us? Is that hers involved evil family members and old friends trying to kill her and her family, and vampires or werewolves or witches, or even some evil witch girl named The Hollow. So yeah, I can understand why Roman is the least of her worries." Turning back around, I storm off from my brother.