TWENTY SEVEN

i'll tell you a story

BEFORE

I open my bedroom door, sliding out slowly. Landon had sent me a text, telling me he had something important to say in person. So, grudgingly, I go out to look for him.

"Landon?" I call out, walking down the steps of the school. I head towards the gate, where a white parked car sits. "Landon?" I say again. Suddenly, a shock goes through my body, and I look up to see a woman, MG's mom.

And everything goes black

NOW

"This is all your fault." I grumble.

Landon and I sit side by side, tied up. He scoffs. "How is this my fault?"

"If you didn't go see MG's crazy parents, this wouldn't have happened!" I shout.

"That is not what this is about."

"Ah, siblings. Such a lovely thing, huh?" We turn our heads as much as we can, looking back to see a man in a suit. "No one's watching us now."

I roll my eyes. "Look, we already told the other guys I don't know anything and even if I did, I wouldn't say anything." I snap.

Landon follows suit. "You can kill us, but I'm part phoenix, so I'm just gonna come back to life in a burst of flames, and there's gonna be a lot of ash to clean up. Not to mention my sisters part Griffin." He looks at me confused. "Which I definitely don't get."

"And after we come back, we're still not gonna know anything." I say to the man.

The man shakes his head. "I'm not here to interrogate you, Landon." He pulls up a table, shuffling papers around. "In fact, I'm here so you can finally get some answers." He unties the two of us, but we both stay relatively still.

I look at Landon, who looks at me. We share a confused, skeptical look before turning back to the man.

"When they created the locks to Malivore, they also created decoys so no one would know which three artifacts were the real thing." He smiles. "I think you might be able to help me with that." The man turns over multiple sheets of paper, witch multiple objects along them. "Is one of these artifacts calling to you? Like a whisper, an itch?"

I frown. "A: I don't feel anything. And B: even if we did, we are not helping the people who kidnapped us." I snaps