NINE

hope is not the goal

MYSTIC FALLS HIGH SCHOOL, MYSTIC FALLS, VIRGINIA

"Let her go." Hope demands.

Kaleb was feeding on humans; a rule at the Salvatore School. He frowns as he compelled his date, "Date's over. It's not me, it's you. Now forget this ever happened and get back to class."

Lizzie and MG rush over. "Great. Hope's already here."

"Thought we were cool, bruh." Kaleb snaps at the other vampire.

"Don't "bruh" him. Second place or not, we know you killed Dana." Lizzie scolds.

I look up. "Wait. Dana's dead?" I ask softly. They all fall silent, knowing I was at one point close with the girl. Landon pats my back soothingly as I suck in a heart wrenching breath.

MG steps forward. "Dr. Saltzman said they found her dead from a vampire bite."

"I didn't kill her, so y'all need to get the hell outta my face." Kaleb snaps, attempting to speed off.

Lizzie siphons magic from MG, using it to stop the vampire. "Come on, guys, let's go. It's hero time."

Hope looks at me. "To the Blondemobile." She grumbles.

"Not so fast, Kaleb."

The vampire slowly stands, groaning from pain "I told you, all I did was feed." He says. "Torture me all you want to, but my answer's gonna remain the same, because I didn't kill Dana."

"Uh, he's right." Landon blurts out.

Lizzie turns to him. "What, so you're a mind reader now, Landon?"

"Call it a hunch." He points behind Kaleb.

My eyes widen when I see Dana stumble out of the woods. "Dana!" I scream, rushing towards her.

"Lena, wait," Hope grabs my arm, I giver her a look. "Madeline." She corrects herself. "You need to stay back."

I frown. "What? Why?"

"Just listen to me, please!" The tri-brid pleads. "Go play bad cop with Connor, we will handle this."

Looking back at Dana, I sigh. "Fine." I mumble, walking away.

Connor is in the bathroom, like he usually is during any english class. He smirks at me freakishly when I walk in. "Do you know how long I've waited for you to come back?"

"Not long enough." I reply before smashing my lips on his. He locks the bathroom door, making sure nobody will come in before pinning me against a wall. His hands glide around my body, my hair, every inch of me as if he hasn't before. "I need to ask you some questions about Dana and Sasha." I mumble between kisses.