SIXTEEN

maybe i should start from the end

LAWRENCE , KANSAS

"If you won't tell me who they are, will you at least tell me why they are following you?" Landon asks Seylah. We had left her home and found a small hotel room.

"They weren't, until you showed up." She retorts, walking towards the room. "So, maybe they're following you."

I scoff as she opens the door. "I'm not stupid. I would have noticed if I was being followed." I snap.

"Close your eyes." Me and Landon look at each other before doing so. "How many windows are in this room?"

"What? We just got here." Landon mumbles.

Seylah continues. "The parking lot, how many cars?"

"I don't know, like ten?" Landon shrugs.

"The man who gave us the keys, was he right- or left-handed?"

"Nobody notices stuff like that."

I suddenly blurt. "Three, seven, ambidextrous." My eyes open as Seylah smirks.

Seylah sits on the bed across from my brother and I. "Tell me more about you two."

"Why? Because you care or because you want intel?" I snap.

"Does it matter?" She asks. "Either way, I genuinely want to know."

Landon scoffs. "Too bad. I've already told you my entire tragic life story."

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

Landon and I freeze.

Neither of us wanted to answer.

Seylah hums. "She's got you both, huh?"

Landon clears his throat. "Her name is Hope. And she'd probably kill us both if she heard you calling her my girlfriend."

"I doubt that very much." Seylah replies.

"Ninja." I remind him.

Landon grimaces. "Hope and I are... complicated. I-I hurt her once, and I don't think she's ever going to forgive me for it. And then-"

"And then she kissed me." I hum, leaning back.

Seylah raises a brow in surprise. "What'd you do?" She asks Landon.