FIFTEEN

maybe i should start from the end

LAWRENCE , KANSAS ,
TWO WEEKS AGO

Landon and I walk up the the small coffee shop.

SEYLAH'S CORNER COFFEE.

I couldn't help but feel nervous. This was our birth mother. The one who carried us. The one who abandoned us. I can't help but feel a slight anger towards the woman as I watch her wipe down tables. What did we do so wrong for her to toss me and my brother to the side like we were nothing?

"Hey," I turn to see Landon, who's hand rests on my shoulder. "Come on." For the remainder of the week, we stopped by every day. Landon likes to take his time in there, I try to be out within the hour.

Sitting across from my brother, I sip on my hot drink. Landon scribbles through his notebook as I raise a brow. "Are you always going to do that?" I ask, annoyed.

Landon glances up at me. He clears his throat, folding his notebook shut. "I'm just trying to think." He defends. I nod slowly, taking another sip. "How do you think that mans doing?" I send him a questionable glance. "You know the-"

"I know," I hiss. "And we agreed not to talk about it." I snap back at him. "I'm sure he's living his terrible good for nothing life running from the guys he cheated money from. Why can't we talk about normal things?" Landon raises his brows in surprise at my slight outburst, as if I haven't done it a million times before.

Seylah looks in our direction. "You must have a serious caffeine addiction." Landon looks up nervously as I turn towards her. "You two have been here every day this week."

I scrunch my now. "He just likes coffee." I titter. "In fact, we should get the next one to go." I say, giving Landon a glare.

She gives me a smile. "Hey, I'm not complaining. Just a little worried about you two." She walks towards the coffee maker as I roll my eyes, grabbing my purse. She reaches for two cups, pulling the cap off her sharpie. She chuckles, looking back at us. "This is embarrassing. You two have been my best customers this week, and I-I don't even know your names."

Before I can say anything, "Uh, I'm Landon. And this is my sister, Madeline." He gestures towards me. Seylah stares between us for a moment, smiling again.

"Those are beautiful names." She says softly. She looks down at two cups, writing each of our names.

"Thanks." I chirp, trying to leave as soon as possible.

"I'm, uh..." Landon stutters as he pulls out the picture. "I'm pretty sure you gave it to us." I glare at Landon as Seylah looks down at it.