TWELVE

sometime during mombie dearest

KENNER, LOUSIANA

"Lena, this is so illegal!"

I look around nervously, taking the keys off the rack. "Oh, please. The woman's dead." I shrug, heading to the parking lot.

"Exactly! You're stealing a dead woman's car!" He scolds. I roll my eyes, taking a screw driver out of my bag and taking off the license plate, putting on a fake one. "This is so wrong."

Huffing, I stand up. "We need a way to get wherever we are going." I explain sharply. Sighing, I unlock the drivers side. "So, where are we going?"

Landon looks down at a sheet of paper. "Lawrence, Kansas." He sits in the passenger side, scrunching his face. "Smells like old lady."

"Got that right." I grumble, taking an old smell sensor and tossing it out the window.

"Maybe we should just go see that family friend of Hopes." He says. "She likes you anyway, the guy will help us out."

I roll my eyes. "Landon, we already know plenty. I mean, seriously. We searched up Seylah, and she lives in Kansas." I shrug, starting the engine.

"But-"

"But nothing." I point a finger at him, raising
eyebrows up. "We can't trust anyone. Not even someone Hope trusts." I lean back, shifting the gear and driving out of the parking lot.

Landon taps his foot, looking down. "What is up with you and Hope anyway? One second you two are constantly at each other's throats, the next you two are sucking each others throats." I snort at his statement, laughing. "Seriously!"

Sighing, I nod slowly. "Fine. She and I have more in common than I thought." I admit. "Don't fully know exactly which parts. But we get each other in the most twisted ways, and she's annoying, and stubborn, and hard headed,"

"She sounds like you." Landon teases. I roll my eyes, shaking my head.

"Whatever, Lan." I laugh. I stare at the road in front of me, tapping my hands on the wheel. "She's a challenge. And if there's one thing I love, is a good challenge."

My brother raises his brows. "Even when you'll never see them again?" He asks. I give him a side glance, not wanting to say anything. "I guess I'm just surprised. You've never really said you liked girls." He shrugs.

"Im just full of surprises." I nonchalantly state. "What about you? I know you two had like, a thing before we left the first time."