TWENTY ONE

we're gonna need a spotlight

"Hey," I glance up, seeing Hope walk towards me

I sigh. "What do you want?" I sneer, looking up from my weird school work.

"I, uh, I broke up with Landon."

I look at her shocked, "Why the hell would you do that?" I snap. Landon was probably heart broken. He loves Hope. He never showed interest in anyone before her. I can't imagine the pain he's feeling.

Hope smiles softly. "Because I want someone else."

I roll my eyes. "Of course you do." I grab my things, standing up. "If you're going to mess with peoples feelings, at least do it without mentally scarring them." I stomp away, "And consider not acting like you're celebrating."

I sit next to Landon outside, smoking a cigarette. "You're going to die of lung cancer." He tells me.

I look towards him. "More exciting than dying in my sleep." I grumble. I blow out a puff of smoke, leaning against the wall. "How are you doing?"

"With the fact that I was just dumped by the one girl that actually liked me?" He asks. "Oh, just great."

"What did she tell you?" I ask, looking back at him. "I mean, it couldn't have been for no reason." I shrug.

Landon fiddles with his red headphones. "She said that she didn't know what she wanted, and she needed time before she could make any real decisions."

I scoff. "How bitchy Hope of her." I snort, putting the cigarette between my lips.

"Hasn't anyone told you smoking is bad for you?" I look up to see Lizzie Saltzman. She sits on the ground next to us. "What are we burying our sorrows for today?"

Landon looks over. "Hope just dumped me." He tells her.

Lizzie raises a brow. "Wasn't that evil-" She hisses in pain. "Wasn't Hope literally all over you this morning? What happened?" Landon shrugs. "That girl is something else."

"No kidding." I scoff. I look back at Lizzie. "What about you? Why are you joining us?"

The blond rolls her eyes. "Josie. She's been acting weird all day. And she made us change the choreography for our talent show! We've been doing that dance for years. How could she just so that?" She rants.

"I mean, good for her, right?" Lizzie sends me a confused look. "She's stepping out of her shell. It's about time." I shrug, turning to blow a puff of smoke in Landons face before turning back to Lizzie. She shrugs, looking away. "I'm just saying, some things seem terrible in the moment, but the big picture is a lot better." I tell her.