THIRTY ONE

this year will be different

WHAT WE'VE MISSED

"I told you the same story a thousand times." I shout. Josie, Landon, and Dorian all stand around me. "I was eaten by our father, stopping Malivore, and now I'm back because I have an immortal destiny to protect my brother," I say.

Dorian glances at the truth ball. "She's telling the truth." He says, holding up the blue object.

Landon leans down. "You're not a monster?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I just want this to be over with. I have to go see someone." I remark.

I need to find Hope.

Ever since Josie used magic to knock me out that night in the forest, I've been held captive in the Old Mill for nearly a week. It took them this long to believe me.

Landon sighs, looking down at a photo in his hand. It's him and I, the night we both found out what we were. After we died. "I knew that you'd come looking for me," I say softly. "At least, I hoped you would."

My brother turns to look at me, a look of confusion, being lost. He knew I was who I told him, but he just couldn't remember me.

And that hurt both of us, a lot.

"Well, now we just have to figure out how to, um, reverse it." Dorian shrugs. "Get everyones memories back."

Josie nods. "Tell us the basics, about you and everyone here."

I lean back in my chair, sighing. "Firstly, Landon was my best friend and and was always my number one priority. Even when I was trapped in eternal hell." I retort. "So, hurt my brother, and I will ruin you." Smiling sweetly, I look back at Landon. "As for my brother, I'm sorry for abandoning you, and snapping your neck, but you're not the one that killed Malivore." I hiss. "But you can keep the lie going, I don't really care." Shrugging, I look down at my shoes.

Dorian sighs. "I contacted Dr. Saltzman, I think you should attend Mystic Falls High with him until we figure out how to get everyones memory back about you."

"I'm sorry, but how does that make any sense?" I ask.

"If you're back, that means somethings wrong with Malivore," Dorian begins. "And you may be a target for anything that Malivore brings up, or your brother."

"In that case, I should stay with Landon."

Josie smiles at me. "Your brother will be safe here." She replies.

I snap my head at her, "I know that, Strawberry Shortcake," I huff. "But it's kinda my thing to save my brother from impending doom. Hence me literally throwing myself into a pit of black tar." Landon raises his brows in surprise at my remark. "Right, one key difference here, I'm definitely Dean, and your Sam!" I chirp, giving an annoyed smile.