THIRTY SEVEN

you remind me of someone i used to know

The three of us walk through the forest

The three of us walk through the forest. "Yeah, Raf should be up ahead." Hope says, leading the way with the map.

"Cool." Landon says nervously.

Hope glances over at him. "Meaning not cool?"

Landon stutters. "Sorry. It's just nothing."

"Meaning something." Hope continues.

Landon, who looks awkward and worried shrugs at Hope and I. "It's stupid, but when Raf was first stuck as a wolf, he used to always hang out with me, but then he, like, he stopped." He explains. "Like, he forgot or he moved on."

I sigh, looking over at my twin. "And you're worried that it's gonna be the same when he's human again?" He nods, looking away from me. The pain in my chest heavies as I think about the struggles and the frustrations my brother must have handled whilst I was gone. And it was all my fault.

Landon exhales sharply. "Told you it was stupid"

"I don't think it's stupid." Hope reassures. "It's painful to lose someone that you love." She looks over at me for a moment. I look away, not sure what to reply with.

The Phoenix nods. "Yeah. Oh, I know all about that. Lena and I grew up in the foster system. Getting bounced around from family to family made us want to shut everybody out until we realized life's a lot harder without someone watching your back." He explains. I smile at my brother. He returns it.

"Trust me, Landon, you don't have to worry about anyone forgetting you." Hope says to him. Her face softens, and I wander what she was thinking. What she felt. What she wanted.

"Help! Help! Somebody, help!"

Landon rushes by, running straight towards the noise. "Landon, wait, stay back." Hope yells. She gives me a warning look, but I run right after my brother "You don't know what's out there! Lena!" She scolds before running after me.

I'm right behind landon, when we stop in our tracks to see a monster sized rat thing. Landon's eyes are wide. "I have an educated guess."

It's eyes are bright red, saliva dripping off its teeth. "I said stay back," Hope snaps, "Incendia!" She shouts, fire flying at the monster, causing it to fall back a bit.

"Is there a plan B? Please tell me there's a plan B." Landon pleads.

"Turn around." Hope tells us.