THIRTY THREE

this year will be different

The day had gone by, Ethan leaving to go home, whilst I stayed in town

The day had gone by, Ethan leaving to go home, whilst I stayed in town. The grass was warm, almost comforting as I laid in it. I stare up at the sky, not really wanting to be involved with the rest of the world. My bright red headphones blasted in my ears as I studied the constellations.

I felt the ground shake under me, my headphones falling out of my ears as I sit up. The troll from before stomping right towards me.

"Lena, run!" I hear a familiar voice shout. I turn my head to see Hope and Dr. Saltzman running over. The monster reaches down for me, my eyes wide. "Icaeus!" She yells. The monster, which must not be a troll, growls as it tumbles backwards. I stumble to my feet, getting my distance as Hope leaps into the air, punching the creature in the face. "Ica-" It lifts her up by her head, causing her to be unable to speak.

The monster lifts up its other hand, when Dr. Saltzman fires an arrow right into its palm.The monster drops Hope, and Alaric rushes forwards. He scrambled to reload his crossbow, but the creature tosses him to the side.

"Oh, crap." I mumble as he walks over. I take a jump into the air, almost as if I'm flying as I send a powerful punch into its face.

Hope stumbles to her feet, and I swiftly move out of her way. "Icendia!" She shout. His head catches on fire, and the monster quickly tries to pat it out.

The hair in the creatures face singes off, revealing its singular eye. "New theory," Alaric pants. "Cyclops." Hope grabs Ric's crossbow at her feet, taking aim. I watch as the arrow flies right into the monsters eye, causing it to fall to the ground, lifeless.

Dr. Saltzman stumbles towards Hope, panting. "You think it's really, uh-"

Before he can finish, the cyclops behind to disintegrate into nothingness, ashes falling around us. "Yup." Hope chirps.

"Great," He hums, taking the crossbow. "Let's get out of here." Hope and I stand side by side, when a boy on a bench I hadn't noticed turns around.

Landon.

His eyes land on Hope, a look of confusion, but somehow recognition as he looks at the mystery girl. Then he looks at me. It's almost as if his eyes lighten up, knowing I was there.

"Lena," He breathes as he walks over slowly. Ash from the monster falls around us, "What happened?" He asks, confused.

I shrug, "Nothing." I lie. I turn to my side to see Hope walking away. I sigh defeatedly, my heart aching again. "Wanna sit and chat?"

We move back to his bench, sitting next to one another. I look around at the sky above us, stars twinkling. The smell of his milkshake to my side. "I looked for you." He says finally. I look up at him. "That night, that you disappeared, I looked through my notebook to see if anything had happened, that maybe I forgot." I watch as he flips open a small notebook, a notebook I had given him once for our birthday.