SEVEN

we're being punked, pedro

Raf flips the food over the fire

Raf flips the food over the fire. "Uh, I think it's done." He says awkwardly. Landon and I laugh. "Next time, we got to catch, like, a deer or something. You know, more meaty, less... rabbity."

"It's food, man. We're good." Landon says for us.

I smile, ripping a piece of rabbit off. "Thanks for sticking with us, Raf." I say graciously. He didn't have to. He could've stayed, but he's here.

"Nowhere else I'd rather be, sis." He replies, smiling.

"I don't know. That school was good for you." I shrug.

Raf sighs, "Lena, you run, I run, period." He says, eating his rabbit meat. Landon and I smile at eachother, taking a bite as well. The three of us groan in slight disgust.

"She hates me, doesn't she?"

Rafael and I look back at Landon. "Hope?" I ask. "Probably." I shrug, taking another bite.

"You want to explain why you kept lying to her? Why you lied to me?" Rafael finally says. I had been waiting for him to finally come out with it.

"That's the problem. I can't." Landon admits "Every time I try to put it into words, all I can say is it's like the knife wanted me to steal it."

I look down at my shoes. "And then it wanted us to lie." I say softly

"Knives don't have conscious thoughts, guys."

"I know, but knives don't usually attract dragons either." Landon points out.

Rafael shrugs. "Um, well, what's done is done. It's not like you're ever gonna see her again anyway."

Landon looks rather bummed by the sound of that. "Hey, hey, it's just the three of us. Living off the land, like the good old days." I smile at my brother. "Nothing better."

"A burger." Landon chirps. "A burger would be better."

"A burger would be better." Raf chuckles. The three of us all laugh, letting it fall back into silence.

Sighing, I look around. It felt like I was 15 again, running from Phil, and the police. I look down at my shoes. "Hey, I got an idea," I hum.

"What kind of idea?" Landon asks me.

I smirk. "An idea to make some money." Turning on my heel, my eyes land on Rafael. "Put your new werewolf skills to work. You in?"