Chapter Forty One: Just Close Your Eyes, The Sun Is Going Down

||Cole Wentz|| First Person||

Unconscious.

Goddammit.

This specific hospital trip isn't like all those books and movies where the protagonist is suddenly enveloped in darkness, the only thing the person able to sense being the lovely boyfriend pouring his heart and soul out to her until she wakes up. I had a Supernatural kind of issue.

And Out of Body experience.

It's kind of like that one episode of Supernatural when Dean's in a coma, and he finds himself awake but not at the same time. He could see himself on his hospital bed and he could see everything and everyone doing what they were doing, but nobody could hear or see him. The only way he was able to contact his brother Sam was through a Ouija board because his body was in a coma, when his 'spirit' was awake.

"Cole, it's me."

Patrick. The sound of his voice kind of summons me or something. One moment, I can't see or feel anything, and the next moment, I'm standing in the corner of the ICU hospital room, watching Patrick sitting next to my near motionless body.

Damn, I looked like shit.

My hair was in all of it's matted glory while my face was paler than it normally is. I was wearing that ridiculous hospital gown and dear God, an IV was hooked up to me through my veins. An oxygen mask is covering my mouth and nose, and there are probably twenty billion blankets surrounding my body.

"You've been unconscious for a few hours now." Patrick says, letting iout a weak and tired laugh. I hear a creak and sone movement, and I can see him shifting around in his chair, an acoustic guitar balancing precariously. He reaches up and adjusts his hat, smiling softly to my real self. "God, I miss your smile." He begins to play something familiar- the strumming of the bars to a familiar song. I want to lean into the familiar sound, embracing the vibrations of an acoustic guitar. The sounds Patrick can draw from it.

A day. What even happened?

"Remember that song you loved when you were in high school?" Patrick goes on, his voice raw and much more exhausted than I'm used to. I find myself walking forward slowly, as if I'd fall right through the floor. I sit down on the tiled ground, right next to Patrick's chair. I experimentally reach out and try to touch his hand, but I go right through. Damn it. "I learned it for you. Sleepwalking by Bring Me The Horizon."

"My secrets are burning a hole through my heart, and my bones catch a fever. When it cuts you up this deep, it's hard to find a way to breathe. Your eyes are swallowing me. Mirrors start to whisper, shadows start to sing. My skin's smothering me. Help me find a way to breathe." Patrick sings for me, playing the instrumentals well. I want to reach up and touch him, but I can't come in contact with him. Only objects apparently. "Time stood still the way it did before. It's like I'm sleepwalking. Fell into another hole again- it's like I'm sleepwalking."

"I'm at the edge of the world. Where do I go from here? Do I disappear? Edge of the world. Should I sink or swim or simply disappear? Your eyes are swallowing me. Mirrors start to whisper, shadows start to sing. My skin's smothering me, help me find a way to breathe!" He continues, and I see him in mid strum, quickly pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose and continuing to play.

"Time stood still, the way it did before. It's like I'm sleepwalking! Fell into another hole again and it's like I'm sleepwalking! Wake up, take my hand and give me a reason to start again. Wake up, pull me out and give me a reason to start again.

"Your eyes are swallowing me. Mirrors start to whisper, shadows start to sing. My skin's smothering me, help me find a way to breathe!" Patrick sings in this broken voice, the sound cracking slightly as he continues to sing the final chorus. Then, the ending.