Chapter Fifty Eight: Look Alive, Sunshine

||Cole Wentz|| First Person||

I squint my dark eyes, the double eyelids and thick lashes coming together just enough for me to see through the glare of the sun. The action results in me scrunching up my nose and making this weird half smile with my mouth. When Patrick turns his head to glance at me, he lets out a short puff of laughter.

"Oh, man, you look adorable." Patrick laughs at me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I stop squinting and actually smile at him, resting my head in the crook of his neck. We sit on the grass for what feels like forever, our fingers intwined over his lap, squinting out at the water. It was a good idea to come to HarbourFront, considering that the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre was somewhere near here. Eventually, we decide to get up and stretch after finding out that it's almost four PM(half past three, if you want me to be exact). The sun is still trying to win, burning bright and trying to shoot its rays over Toronto, not wanting to be conquered by darkness, even for a short period of time. It's like trying to give your all into something, but you lose eventually either way. If you give up, you lose. If you try, you lose. The sun can't win this battle.

"You think a lot." Patrick comments, the corner of his mouth pulling up into a broad grin. I hold my hand to my forehead, trying to block the beams of light emanating and basically burning my eyes. Patrick pulls his sunglasses off of his dark blue shirt, slipping them over my own face. Kate didn't think to bring sunglasses, so I let her borrow my own. Anna had repeatedly offered to lend me her own, but I couldn't take them from her and just let her suffer.

"I was just thinking, when I write a New York Times Bestselling book about our story, you're going to be there to write your own parts, right?" I joke with him, and Patrick chuckles, looking down with an extremely red face. He leans forward and kisses my lips, bringing a hand up to the back of my neck so he could control the kiss. When I feel his tongue brush against my bottom lip, I let out a laugh and let my lips part.

I'm not going to go into detail here, because I imagine that you don't want to hear that Patrick and I snuck off of the docks where everyone else was to make out. Oh, you do? Maybe next time. You still do? Fine.

"Fūck," Patrick's lips are barely off mine before he's exhaling and inhaling deeply. I would probably burst out into laughter right there if I could, but I was too busy trying to gulp in air. I don't know where we are, but it's behind this large open stage area that is normally rented out for the Forest of Reading festival(some book club event that apparently is really fun) every summer. Patrick's arm is resting above my head, his palm flat on the metal while my back is pressed between his body and the wall. I don't really mind.

"You didn't answer my question." I breathe out jokingly, and Patrick looks at me for a moment. He lets out a breath of laughter, sucking in a breath of air before kissing me one more time.

"I'll be there. I always will be, if I can help it." He promises me, and I giggle when he raises his pinky finger. I wrap my own pinky around his slightly larger one, giggling even more when he pulls me into his chest for a hug. "How we can go from an intense make out session to being cutesy is beyond me, though."

"Patrick! Cole! Where are you two?" I hear Pete shout out loud. Patrick and I let go of each other and jump at hearing my brother's voice. He would embarrass the shit out of us if he found us hiding. "We have to go!" Oh shit. Radio Edge 102.1, is this alternative music station in Toronto that plays rock and grunge and just basically anything that sounds remotely like Green Day or Soundgarden. The Fall Out Boy guys got a call from their tour manager when we were at the CN Tower, reminding them last minute that they had to be there at four thirty because they scheduled Patrick for this acoustic session.

"Holy smokes," Patrick whispers in surprise, and when I snort at that, he gives me a mock threatening look. I smile and roll my eyes teasingly at him, but that's when we hear Pete's voice again, getting louder as he comes closer to where we're hiding. I grab Patrick's hand and tug him down to sit on the grass. I jump on his lap while pulling my bag off of my shoulders, ripping it open and pulling my phone and earbuds. I practically jam one into Patrick's ear and one into my own, turning my phone on and swiping up to my control centre. I hit play on my music and hit the lock button, leaning back into Patrick and closing my eyes.