The Interview (Part Two)

64: INT. STUDIO DAY

Later, Brian and Rachael have their first interview together.

TALK SHOW HOST: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the one and only Brian May and his beautiful wife, Rachael May.

BRIAN: (comes out holding Rachael's hand) (waves to the crowd) (both sit down)

TALK SHOW HOST: Good morning and welcome to the show.

BRIAN: Good morning, thank you for having us.

TALK SHOW HOST: So, you two have been married for 20 years, is that correct?

BRIAN: Yes.

TALK SHOW HOST: How long have you been together?

BRIAN: We've been together since 1974.

TALK SHOW HOST: And you married in 1975?

BRIAN: Yes.

TALK SHOW HOST: How did you two meet? As I recall, Rachael, you were just an ordinary fan and you met him at a concert.

RACHAEL: Yes, I was a huge fan of Queen and my friend Jayme got us tickets to one of their concerts. We got there and I had to use the bathroom, so I went backstage and I got distracted when Freddie walked right by me, and Brian bumped into me.

TALK SHOW HOST: What were your first thoughts?

RACHAEL: I was starstruck. I really didn't know what to say, I apologized and he told me where the bathroom was.

BRIAN: We met properly after the show and I was so taken with her shyness and gentle demeanor, so I invited her and Jayme out for a drink with us and we ended up going back to her house in Plymouth for the night.

TALK SHOW HOST: I read somewhere that Freddie and the rest of the band left the two of you alone so you watched Young Frankenstein.

RACHAEL: (both chuckle) Yes, we watched Young Frankenstein for awhile but then I started getting tired and ended up falling asleep on his shoulder. (crowd awww's) (blushes)

TALK SHOW HOST: That's adorable! And then the next day you made her breakfast? 

BRIAN: Yes, then we ended up spending the day together and got to know each other better. I was just so attracted to her warm personality.

RACHAEL: (reaches up and grasps her necklace) That was the day he gave me this. Haven't taken it off since.

BRIAN: Anyway, Queen had a gig to get to that night so we said goodbye and we wrote each other letters constantly.

TALK SHOW HOST: (to Rachael) When he left, how did that make you feel?

RACHAEL: I was devastated. I mean, I knew that we had just met but I felt a connection to him, I was falling in love with him and I couldn't tell him. 

BRIAN: (smiles lovingly at her) I came back a month later and invited her to a gig in New York. Since then we've been a couple.

TALK SHOW HOST: And you proposed and then married her on August 4th, 1975.

BRIAN: Yes, the day we met.

TALK SHOW HOST: That is quite a story. Brian, in 1986, you had a brief but rather public affair with actress Anita Dobson. (to Rachael) Rachael, were you aware of it?

RACHAEL: (to herself) "Of course she had to bring that up..." I was aware of it.

TALK SHOW HOST: What did you do once you realized what was going on?

RACHAEL: I confronted him. I told him to just be honest and tell me the truth and he did

TALK SHOW HOST: Why did you stay with him then?

RACHAEL: (to herself) "I could tell Brian was getting uncomfortable, he looked guilty as hell." (grasps his hand gently) Well, I had three young kids and I was a few months pregnant with our twins, I didn't want to put them through a divorce... Plus I love him, I wasn't gonna just leave him without giving him a chance to explain himself.

TALK SHOW HOST: Did you ever confront Anita?

RACHAEL: No... After that, he put an end to the affair.

TALK SHOW HOST: Are you sure about that?

BRIAN: (tightens his grip on her hand and grits his teeth)

RACHAEL: (to herself) "I felt Brian's grip tighten angrily in my hand as I turned to look at him. He looked very angry and stressed." (gently nudges him)

BRIAN: (clears his throat) All I know is that I made the worst mistake of my life when I met Anita, and I will regret it til the day I die.

RACHAEL: (tears well up in her eyes) (whispers) I love you.

TALK SHOW HOST: Why do you think your marriage has worked for so long?

RACHAEL: I think things only work because you want them to work, I want to be with him. He's the love of my life.

TALK SHOW HOST: Well, I believe you two wanted to sing for us. Brian, why don't you go ahead?

BRIAN: (gets up and walks over to the microphone) Thank you... This song was partially inspired by my wife... This is called Sail Away Sweet Sister. (starts playing) (starts singing) Hey little babe you're changing, babe are you feeling sore? It ain't no use in pretending you don't wanna play no more. It's plain that you ain't no baby, what would your mother say? You're all dressed up like a lady, how come you behave this way? Sail away sweet sister, sail across the sea, maybe you'll find somebody who'll love you half as much as me, my heart is always with you no matter what you do, sail away sweet sister, I'll always be in love with you... Forgive me for what I've told you, my heart makes a fool of me, ooh, you know I'll never hold you, I know that you gotta be free yeah, sail away sweet sister, sail across the sea, maybe you'll find somebody who'll love you half as much as me... Take it the way you want it, but when they let you down my friend, sail away sweet sister, back to my arms again... Hot child don't you know you're young, you got your whole life ahead of you, ah, you can throw it away too soon... Way too soon yeah... (plays the solo)

RACHAEL: (starts quietly sobbing)

BRIAN: (continues) Sail away sweet sister, sail across the sea, maybe you'll find somebody who's gonna love ya half as much as me, my heart is always with you no matter what you do, sail away sweet sister, I'll always be in love with you.

RACHAEL: (kisses him passionately) (goes onstage) (wipes her tears) Um, this is a song that I wrote for Brian about nine years ago, and I never had the guts to play it til now... (starts playing) (starts singing) The flowers have faded... And I know you're going, but I know you've loved me all you can... Now you know I won't hold you... And my door's always open, there's so much love left over, I could love you... Again... So much of me belongs to you, only you... Let's see now, there's my heart, and my soul, and my mind... And these tears I'm crying... Autumn is falling, and the trees are leaving... And I can feel the lonely in the wind... But after the winter, there's always a springtime, and there's so much love left over... I could love you... Again... Mm-hm...

BRIAN: (applauds with tears in his eyes)

RACHAEL: (to herself) "I looked over to see my husband in tears, which was rare. I walked offstage and ran to his open arms." (hugs him tightly)

BRIAN: That was beautiful. I love you so much.

RACHAEL: I love you too.

BRIAN: (both go backstage)