Sixteen

Jermany's POV

I wake up with a splitting headache, but at this point that's normal for me. I sit up groaning and the next thing I see is a head of pink hair nuzzled in my neck.

"Finally, you're awake." Paula says hugging me tightly.

"Finally." I say trying to get her to loosen her grip and she does so I hug her back.

"Thank goodness they got to you on time, if not..." Paula says letting go of me.

"Yeah. He saved me again."

"Oh please, it's his fault you were in that mess." Paula says rolling her eyes.

"How so?" I ask.

"Just forget it, don't start thinking he's good people. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

"Meaning?"

"He's no different from his father Jerma."

"Listen, I know he has a dark side, but he didn't let that overshadow him. He saved me."

"How did this conversation go down this road?"

I chuckle. "I don't know."

"Okay, you've already wasted enough time and we have little left. While you were sleeping, I took it upon myself to pack you a bag of essentials. We're leaving soon." Paula says getting up and showing me the bag.

"Paula." I groan. "I just woke up and I'm still tired, we have all day to discuss this okay?"

"All day? You do not understand."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"It's 7pm, Thursday night."

My eyes grow wide and I fly out of bed, rushing to the clock. She's right.

"Oh my gosh, how long was I out?"

"10 hours. According to Shawn, the dose of rubyx he gave to you would be harmless to a junkie, but since you aren't one, the dose was enough to knock you out for 10 hours. By that time, Peter would have done...."

"Whatever he wanted." I say as realization hits me.

"Now you understand why I want you to leave with me. After today, Shawn will get such a punishment that he would never stand up to his father again. Maddie, she will definitely have to go back to Mexico and Eva, she only depends on Shawn. Without them or me, your life here will be hell. Much worse than it is now."

"You're right, I might not get another chance like this."

"Exactly, what do you say?"

"I'll come, but first..."

"First?"

"I have to say thank you to Shawn Phillips."

"You're joking, that is unnecessary."

"It's my choice, Paula. I refuse to leave here just hours after he saved me without saying thank you."

"You owe him nothing." Paula says bitterly.

"Wrong, I owe him everything for the next few months at least. You forget that even if I leave here, I still have a debt of half a million on my head."

"We can take care of that."

"What exactly is the big deal here, Paula? I'm just saying thank you." I say, feeling irritated.

"The big deal is me not wanting him convincing you to stay here, I can help you get a loan and you can pay him back as soon as we get to Seattle."

"Fine, but I'm not leaving until I say thank you."