Twenty Five

Jermany's POV

"H-hello? This is Veronica Dallas, who is this?"

Her voice is thick with sleep. I feel bad for waking her. "M-mum."

"Jerma? Is that you?" she asks.

"Y-yes. It's me, mum."

"OMG, how... whose phone is this? I've been trying to contact you for months now, I even went over to PHandC once," She did? "But the receptionist refused to let me through. How are you?"

"Actually, my phone fell in the toilet and I haven't been able to get a new one." I lie. "This is my colleague's phone."

"Wow, it's been so long since we talked. How are things there?"

"Perfect mum, I...love it...here."

"Liar. You don't sound so good." She's right, I'm a big liar.

"Neither do you. I have a small fever, nothing I can't handle. What about you?"

"A fever? You should get a lot of sleep and take some warm soup, okay?"

I smile, she's trying to dodge my questions the way I had dodged hers. "I feel better already okay; now tell me what's wrong."

My mum groans. "William's fees are almost due." I knew he would be the reason. "At least you're helping pay off the half a million debt but I still have other debts and bills to pay, it's a lot. I even had to get an extra job last week."

"Mum, stop before you breakdown. And for the love of God, cut William off. That guy is a parasite."

My mum sighs. "I know but I love him. Not as much as I used to but, I still do."

"He doesn't love you. Even if you do, what's the point of it if all it brings is pain?"

"Sometimes love does that, it causes pain. It's not always perfect, neither is it always a fairytale. But that doesn't mean that you should give up on it. I refuse to give up on him."

My mum had gotten to a point where pain seemed normal for her. But she's wrong, she doesn't have to suffer for love; she doesn't have to suffer for someone who doesn't love her.

"Mum you need to stop..."

"Jerma stop. I don't want to argue with you, okay? Especially not after so long."

She's right. Who knows when next I would talk to her. "I'm sorry mum; I just want you to be safe while I'm gone."

"I am safe. Speaking of going, when are you going to come and visit us?"

"I don't know mum, I honestly don't know. I still have about 6 and half months left so I guess until then."

"This is all my fault." I've heard the words all my fault or all your fault so much that the next time I hear it I swear I will burst. "If I hadn't taken that loan..."

"But you did, so stop thinking, what if? I'm here okay and I will do everything in my power to get you out of debt, okay?"

"Okay, but I just wish I could see you."

I bite my tongue to keep from crying. "Yeah, me too."

There's a brief pause on both sides.

"Well, if you can't come, can you talk to the receptionist so she'll expect me when I come?"

"No!" I say too quickly.

"Okay." My mum says sadly.

"Mum, it's not like I don't want you here but the rule still stands; no contact with anyone for one year. I miss you and I really want to see you, but I can't. I had to hide to make this call."