Thirty Six

Jermany's POV

3 hours.

I sat next to my unconscious best friend in a hospital room for 3 hours.

I had to lie to the doctor about the cause of his injuries. I told him that some men had attacked and beaten him up for no reason which, if you think about it, is true. When they asked me if I wanted to file a case, I declined. Not because Shawn didn't deserve it, but because if I open the case then I will become a prime witness against Shawn, which means I will get to see him every day until they conclude the case.

Hiram had to get some stitches and bandages here and there; apart from that, he was fine.

I sat next to him, holding his hand the entire time. I'm really exhausted, but I would never leave Hiram's side; not until he wakes up.

It's hard not to think of the events that took place mere hours ago, especially when I'm all alone in a quiet white room.

Everything seems like such a dream, but it's not. He used me. I was used and the plan to use me was crafted 2 years ago by someone I trusted. To think I would have gotten a job a long time ago if not for him.

He ruined my life and all this while I blamed it on the universe.

It wasn't the universe; it was a foolish man called Shawn Jonah Phillips.

What gave him the right to control anyone?

I wish I had gone with Paula, but now that I think about it; I feel he would have done anything to get me back because all he cares about is himself and his selfish desires.

I bow my head, praying for sleep when I feel the bed move. I raise my head immediately and see Hiram stirring.

"Easy." I say, standing up and pushing his shoulders down to steady him.

"J-Jerma?" he whispers.

"Hey, buddy." I say, forcing a smile.

"How did you find me?" he asks lowly.

"Sh, forget about that." I lift the blanket over him, smiling. "Right now just focus on getting better okay?"

"But..."

"Hiram." I say tiredly.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

Okay, what exactly does it mean to be okay? What defines the state of being "okay"? Is it the fake smile on your face? Is it the obvious avoidance of the elephant in the room? Or is it the ability to look into the eyes of the person you love and say it; say that three letter word?

"Yes."

Hiram doesn't look convinced at all but he is in no position to pick a fight and frankly, neither am I.

****************************************

I stay in the hospital till night fall dreading the fact that I would have to face my mother soon. Hiram has to spend a week in the hospital, so I'm left returning home alone. I get a cab and begin my journey home. I stop at Starbucks and walk the rest way home; it's not that far.

I stand in front of the door just staring and praying that William isn't home.

I miss my house and everything about it, but I can't even think about that because I'm too occupied thinking about how I missed the big picture.

I check on top of the window and find the spare key. I open the door slowly and the first thing I see is luggage. The next thing I see is a head of red hair all up in my face.