Thirty Seven

Dedicated to Hihi-isha
Jermany's POV

"Welcome back, Sunshine." He says smiling.

I just stare at him blankly.

"This past week has been hell, but I knew you'd eventually come back, I knew you would." He walks faster towards me, arms wide open. Just as he is about to hug me I take a step back and his smile falls.

"I'm not back, Shawn."

"Yes, you are."

"This place wasn't anything special, so why would I have to return?"

"If you're not back then why are you here?" He asks curiously and I take a deep breath.

I hate the fact that he's the only one I can turn to right now.

"I need your help." I say slowly.

"What's wrong?"

"Can we talk in your office?" I ask and without waiting for a response, I walk past him further into this hellhole.

I walk into his office and he is right behind me. The moment he steps in he closes the door. I feel suffocated in this small space but I have to do this.

"William tried to take advantage of me." I say getting straight to the point.

"He did what?"

"You heard me Shawn, I don't have time to go into much detail but I need your help."

"Did he hurt you? Because if he did I swear I'll..."

He starts but I cut him off, scoffing and crossing my arms over my chest. "The fact that I came here doesn't mean I'm some scared little girl Shawn; don't think I can't handle myself."

"I know..."

"Save your breath Shawn; cut the act." I say rolling my eyes.

"What act Jerma? Why are you trying so hard to delude yourself with the lie that I don't care about you?"

"Delude myself with a lie? You must be crazy."

"I swear I..."

"Can you stop." I say raising my hands. "I'm on borrowed time here." I say and Shawn bows his head. "After I refused him, William threatened to turn himself in..." Shawn doesn't move. "... with I and my mum as his accomplices."

"What?" Shawn asks his head snapping up.

"He's not wrong; we knowingly harbored a criminal for years. But, despite that, I'm not willing to spend the rest of my life in prison; the years I've lost are enough."

"What can I do?"

"I need the mental health file you have on me; you're going to help me make it William's so that when I give it to the police they will assume he's mentally unstable and so..."

"Doubt every word he says."

"Exactly. Do you still have it?"

"Yeah, I have a draft on my laptop. We can edit it then print it out."

I let out a relieved breath. "Okay." I say and Shawn moves to his laptop bag, retrieving his laptop. While the laptop boots Shawn turns to speak to me but I'm quick to stop him. "I don't have the luxury of time." I snap and he returns back to his work.

I watch him change every Jermany to William. Once he's done he unlocks the door next to the toilet door and begins printing the five page document. He retrieves a file folder and places the papers neatly in it.