Chapter 18 The nip on my upper lip

Megumi

The smell of the freshly trimmed grass lingers in the air, making me to feel refreshed from the dreamy spring. This summer is really special, especially with my special friends. I am watching the boys in my class playing basketballs while some of my buddies are chatting on the soccer field. The summer breeze blow through my cheeks as if someone touches me softly, from the tip of my hair, to my neck, chin, cheeks and my lips. I shiver a bit when I feel the faint brush on my bottom lip. I can also feel the saltiness in the air when the wind blow from the basketball court to the grass field. 

My sight fell on Akira. It has been the third month Akira been in my school. He has great reputation in the school. He is very helpful, considerate, strong, and most of all, handsome and tall. Indeed he is charming, Akira stays beside me throughout my hard times. I feel grateful that he is able to gain respect from teachers, classmates, and boys. Of course, I feel proud of being his closest friend in Taiwan. 

He dashes though the walls of defense while turning his agile body and he leaps into the air. The ball leaves his fingertips as Akira gives it the last momentum to shoot through the basket like a bullet. His laughter are bright and his sweat glitters under the sun. Girls from other class cheer for him but I just look at him, not smiling but spacing out. Akira caught my sight on him and he runs toward me with the girls groaning on the side. 

“Hey Meg,” He waves his hand in front of my face.

“Akira, nice shot.” I said blandly to him as a slowly focusing back on him.

“How are you feeling today?” He asked as he sits down beside me.

Akira swallowed gallops of water as I forgot to answer his question.

“Meg?” He inclines his head to see me.

“Oh! Sorry Akira. What were you saying?” I turned him with my head a piece of blank sheet.

“Come on, Meg, The scorching sun is cooking your brain.” He pulled me up towards the shades. “You should stay under the shades for a while.”

“Akira, I’m not like a baby!” I fight back when he is behaving like a father.

“Let me tell you something, you will faint if you keep staying there like that.” Akira puts his hands on my should to insist me to sit.

I sit down with my cheeks fill with air, showing resistance to his demanding instructions.

“Now where’s your water?” He stare at me.

“You pulled me to the shades so I left it on the grass.” I finally answered his question.

“Urgh…” He ran back to the field to fetch my bottle still full with water. I saw him put his hands in the air as if he saw something ridiculous. He walked urgently back to me.

“Oh, Meg, you must be kidding me. You haven’t been drinking water under that June sun??” He seems very angry with his hands around his waist.