- 0 5 - NEWFOUND FREEDOM

THE NEXT FULL MOON CAME QUICKER THAN AMATHEIA WOULD HAVE LIKED

THE NEXT FULL MOON CAME QUICKER THAN AMATHEIA WOULD HAVE LIKED. She knew her daughter would be happier with people who she seemed to already make friends with, but she was having trouble letting her go. There was nothing she could do to change Lorelei's mind, but she wanted to make sure she was one hundred percent ready for this.

"Yes, mum. I know you aren't happy with my choices, but I can't be happy here knowing what lies out there for me. Those three Weasleys already wanted to be my friend. I haven't a friend beside Brizo--no offense Briz. I just feel useless down here," Lorelei said with a grim expression.

Amatheia knew Lorelei needed to go learn magic because as much as she loathes her father, he would've wanted his child to be equally mermaid and witch. Amatheia knew she had to let her daughter go learn.

"You'll come home if it becomes too much?" Amatheia questioned swimming toward her daughter.

Lorelei smiled sadly. "Yes, mum. But I have to be ready for them to speak ill of me. No one likes a half-breed."

Amatheia pulled her daughter in a hug. "I love you, Lorelei. With my whole heart."

"I love you, mum. Ready?" Lorelei replied while backing away. There was nothing to bring except a few seashells she collected in order to remind her of her sea. She watched as Amatheia picked up Brizo.

"Bring Brizo. I'll feel better if he's there with you."

"Mum, he's a crab--"

"Bring him."

"Mum, I don't think he can--"

"He'll be fine," Amatheia said while pushing Brizo in her hand. Brizo looked terrified.

Sighing, the pair swam up to the surface of the Weasley pond where George, Fred, and another man they had not met was waiting. The man grinned when he saw the two heads pop up from the water.

"Hello! My name is Arthur Weasley! You must be Amatheia and Lorelei!"

"Don't forget Brizo," George said with a snort.

Lorelei smirked and stepped back to throw on George's shirt he gave her before. Once it was on, she took Brizo back and gave her mother one last hug. Amatheia watched Lorelei push herself on the grass a few meters away from the Weasleys. Amatheia could tell her daughter was nervous.

"Arthur? Take care of her, please. Albus trust you and Molly, so I will, too."

Arthur nodded at the woman. The two adults watched as Fred and George helped Lorelei get her tail out of the water. With a towel, the two patted her tail to soak up the water. Arthur held out a pair of Ginny's sweatpants and turned away.

Once her legs began to form, the twins turned as well.

She slid on the comfortable material in awe. She was not sure how to properly use her legs yet. Amatheia's laughter made the three men turn. Lorelei couldn't stand up. Even Brizo laughed.

"Shut up, Briz."

George picked up Brizo who seemed to have taken a right liking to the boy.

Arthur moved forward to help the girl stand. Amatheia laughed more.

Before the lot walked away, Amatheia called out her daughter's name. "I will come up to check on you before you leave. Do come to speak to me every so often."

"Of course, Mum."

With that, the Weasleys helped Lorelei walk. George and Fred, however, made more jokes than help. Lorelei felt like her legs were made of jelly. When they made it into what was called the Burrow, Molly squealed out in delight. Ginny watched the girl nervously. Charlie, Percy, and Ron stood back in amazement at her legs. Ron and Percy hadn't seen her tail, but by the form she was walking, they knew she hadn't used them before.

Weeks passed before the Hogwarts letters arrived. Lorelei's letter was there as well with her name written in elegant script. Molly Weasley told them they would go to Diagon Alley for their supplies.

Everything was different for the mermaid. She wasn't used to her legs or using appliances. She had urges to eat more and sleep. She even had to use the restroom and shower quite often. She especially was not used to traveling in such odd ways. Going through a fireplace? Odd. Lorelei felt like she was going crazy with all of the information she was to learn before even going to school.

Percy had helped her with things regarding education while Charlie had told her about the creatures she would learn about. George and Fred were only interested in her and learning about her life. Besides that, they told her about the pranks she would take part in with them. Molly had yelled at them for that.

Ginny was very sweet as an eight-year-old. She helped Lorelei do her hair and what clothes to wear. Ron was very excited about Quidditch, though he wasn't sure if he would ever play himself.

Lorelei knew this was a lot to take in, but she had to do it. It would get easier, she thought, so she would just have to deal with it now.

When in Diagon Alley, Molly took Lorelei to Gringotts first. She whispered the message from Albus Dumbledore to the goblin who was staring at Lorelei with admiration. He nodded and showed the pair to the vault of her father.

Molly took gold and put it in a pouch for Lorelei. Lorelei had told Molly to take some for herself because she had heard of their troubles, Molly denied. She took a hefty bag and handed it to Lorelei. She told her to keep it safe.

That day, Lorelei was able to get her things for Hogwarts and clothes for when she wasn't in her school robes. Lorelei bought the twins sweets when their mother wasn't looking because she had told them they couldn't afford it. Lorelei wished Molly would take some of her money.

When in Olivander's shop, he grinned when he saw the child holding a crab. He felt like he knew exactly where to get her wand from. Finding a wand with octopus scales integrated into the wood, he grinned further when that was the wand for her. First choice. Lorelei had never felt so powerful. She was glad to have left the waters.

Brizo snapped his claws at the girl when she was glancing at the pet store.

"Oh, I know, you petty thing. You're my pet."

Brizo settled happily on her shoulder.