- 5 8 - MARAUDERS

"WE'VE GOT TO GIVE IT TO HIM," George said decidedly

"WE'VE GOT TO GIVE IT TO HIM," George said decidedly. He looked over at Lorelei to ask her opinion. "What do you think, Lor?"

The girl in question was finally speaking to them in a way like she used to. She was still avoiding Lupin, but she had tried to push Sirius Black away from her mind. She has yet to go swimming because of it.

"The map? Yeah, he probably needs it more than we do," Lorelei said with a determined nod. "Let's go find him before he does something stupid to try and get out of Hogwarts." They had all three felt bad that Harry was still beating himself up because of the Quidditch match, so this would definitely make him feel better.

They had found Harry near the third-floor corridor. Lorelei smiled brightly at him and looped her arm with his bringing him into an empty classroom where Fred and George were waiting. "What are you doing?" Harry asked cautiously. "How come you three aren't at Hogsmeade?"

"We've come to give you a bit of festive cheer before we go," Fred said with a mischievous wink.

"Early Christmas present," George said beaming at the boy. He motioned toward Lorelei who pulled out the piece of parchment from her jacket and handed it over to Harry.

There was nothing written on it, and Harry glanced up at them with a careful eye. "What's this rubbish?"

"What's this rubbish, he says." Fred rolled his eyes as George said, "That, Harry, is the secret to our success."

Fred continued, "It's a wrench giving it to you, but we decided your needs are greater than ours."

Lorelei smiled at Harry's confused expression. She chuckled and said, "We've got it memorized anyway. Giving it to you isn't a problem."

George explained where the twins had nicked it in their first year, and Lorelei added a bit of her own two Knuts about how wonderful the map truly was. She snorted along with Harry when George tried to make it sound like they were innocent in first-year.

"And how do you know how to work it?" Harry asked after hearing the story of stealing it from Filch's drawer of Confiscated and Highly Dangerous.

Lorelei smirked. "That little beauty has taught us more than all the teachers at this school, Harry." Harry didn't believe them that this wasn't just a piece of old parchment. "Go ahead, Georgie," Lorelei said with a grin.

Taking out his wand, he touched the parchment lightly. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Ink began to form on the parchment in lines. Harry watched in amazement as the castle of Hogwarts began to form with everyone in it. He could see everything, and Lorelei snorted at his face that was in awe.

"Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs Purveyor of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers are proud to present the Marauders Map?" Harry questioned the front of the parchment. Lorelei beamed as he was looking through it.

"Now, there are seven in all--secret passageways out of the castle to Hogsmeade. Filch knows about these four, but we are sure no one knows about these," Fred started. "Don't bother with the one behind the mirror on the fourth floor. Caved in last winter. We don't reckon anyone has used this one because the Whomping Willow is placed right over it. But this one here, this one leads right into the cellar of Honeydukes. We've used it loads of times."

"We owe them so much," George stated with a dreamy sigh. "Noble men, working tirelessly to help a new generation of law-breakers."

Lorelei snorted and looked back at Harry. "Right. Don't forget to wipe it after you've used it--"

"--or anyone can read it," Fred said with a warning tone.

George took his wand and placed it on the parchment. "Just tap it again and say, 'Mischief Managed!' and it'll go blank."

"So, young Harry," Fred said with a grin, "mind you behave yourself."

Lorelei narrowed her eyes at the boy. "Don't give me a reason to take it back," she warned making Harry grin at her.

"See you in Honeydukes," George said with a wink.

The three left Harry there with satisfied smirks on their faces. George wrapped an arm around Lorelei's shoulder as they began to walk toward Hogsmeade. Fred began talking animatedly about the things he needed from Zonkos. Lorelei just leaned her head toward George's body and relished in how warm he was while she was freezing.

Montague, Pucey, and Warrington were walking toward Hogsmeade when they snorted at Lorelei and the twins.

"Half-breed with the blood-traitor. Sounds about right," Montague hissed. Lorelei felt George's arm tighten around her.

"Sod off, Montague," Fred warned.

"Or what, Weaslebee?"

They didn't get to go any further as Professor Lupin walked down the corridor. "I think, Mr. Montague, tomorrow evening at seven would do well, wouldn't you think?" he asked with a stern expression.

"For what, Professor," Montague sneered.

"Ah, you see. I was going to help clean some cauldrons for Professor Snape. I'd think your help will be greatly appreciated, unless, of course, you plan to apologize to Miss Calypso and Mr. and Mr. Weasley. I don't tolerate hateful words," Lupin stated while coming to a halt in front of the Slytherins. He looked to Pucey and Warrington. "Would you two care to join?"

The two shook their heads while Montague clenched his jaw. "My apologies, Professor."

"Hmm. Off you go," Lupin said with a wave of his hand.

The Slytherins ran out, but they turned to glare hatefully at the Gryffindors and the Defense teacher.

"Thank you, Professor," Fred said shoving his wand back in his robe. "I could've handled it."

"As true as that may be, I'd rather not give you another reason for detention when you can do that on your own," Lupin said with a twinkle in his eye making the twins laugh. "You okay, Miss Calypso?"

"Nothing I haven't heard before, Professor," she gave him a tight-lipped smile. "See you."

She quickly dragged the twins away from the man as she still was trying to avoid him at any cost. With a sigh of relief as Hogsmeade came into view, she decided to forget about Sirius Black for one afternoon. She deserved it.