- 6 0 - RUMORS

MONTAGUE HAD STARTED A RUMOR ABOUT LORELEI AND REMUS LUPIN

MONTAGUE HAD STARTED A RUMOR ABOUT LORELEI AND REMUS LUPIN. It was no surprise the two were spending more time together, but it was only because they were trying to find anything to prove Sirius's innocence. Remus decided they should put their investigation on hold until the rumor died down. He, for one, didn't want to lose his job, but he also didn't want Lorelei to deal with that. She swore it didn't bother her, but Remus could see right through her.

"Once I get the map from Harry and do my own research, I'll let you know, Lorelei," Remus said after class one day. She frowned and nodded. She hated that she had to distance herself from him.

The truth was, Lorelei finally had a father figure in her life. Remus Lupin treated her like the daughter he never had, and Lorelei loved it. She loved having a man to think of as a father when she needed it. She would never think of Remus in the way Montague was making it out to be, but of course, everyone believes rumors.

Fred smirked at her as she walked out of the classroom. "You and Lupin all right?"

"Sod off. You don't believe Montague, do you?" she said and groaned out loud when she did not see George anywhere.

He fell in step with Lorelei and sniggered. "You and Lupin? That's disgusting. Of course, not. But I do want to know what you've been doing because your eyes are full of mischief, my dear."

"Trying to figure something out. Nothing important," she said quickly before changing the topic. "Where's George?"

"Ah, he is trying to convince himself you and Lupin are not shagging."

"Oh, my Neptune! You're kidding!?" she exclaimed. "That's ruddy disgusting. He's like a father to me, Fred. You know I've never known my father. He just kind of acts like it sometimes. I just don't understand why everyone has to talk like that," Lorelei said with a shrug. Now, she felt stupid.

Fred frowned as she trailed off and stopped to pull her off to the side. He gave her a hug. And Lorelei began to cry a bit out of nowhere. She hadn't realized how much she had been bottling up. Trying to ignore the tears, she laughed. "I'm ridiculous."

"No, you're human. You've never had a father. Even if my dad's been around, it's not the same. Professor Lupin is a good stand-in dad," he tried making her laugh more. He smiled at that. "I'll talk to George. He's just been unknowingly head-over-heels in love with you that sometimes his head goes in his arse without him realizing it."

Lorelei froze. "What?"

"Er...nothing?"

"Frederick Weasley."

"Lorelei Calypso?"

Lorelei backed away from him and smiled a bit. "You're adorable. Go talk to lovely George then because I can't have him hating me for rumors." Fred saluted and kissed her forehead before leaving. Lorelei sighed and thought about what Fred said.

He didn't love her. There was no way. George had always acted like a best friend and nothing more. She, of course, had felt something for him because of her possessiveness last year. Now, she was frightened. What if Fred was joking? What if she liked George, but he had no feelings other than brotherly. Lorelei shivered at that.

Gryffindor had beat Ravenclaw in the next Quidditch match, and Lorelei was glad Oliver was happy. It was even better because four Slytherins (Malfoy, Flint, Crabbe, and Goyle) were caught trying to act as dementors to scare Lorelei and Harry. Harry had produced his first Patronus at them, and Lupin was proud even if they weren't real dementors.

That night, there was a party in the Gryffindor Common Room. Fred and George had snuck into Honeydukes tugging Lorelei along. George had apologized with an embarrassed face for even thinking twice about Montague's words. Lorelei smiled brightly and kissed his cheek causing George's face to go as red as his hair. Fred smirked next to them.

Once back, the party lasted for a while until McGonagall had told them to go to bed. Percy had motioned for Lorelei to help him round up the students, but Lorelei had a bit to drink without meaning to. Fred had poured Firewhiskey into her butterbeer. Percy scolded his brother and made Hermione help Lorelei to bed.

The night was far from over. It was woken again when Ron screamed out that Sirius Black was standing over his bed with a knife.

Lorelei paled when she stumbled into the Common Room thinking what she and Remus had been suspecting. Sirius was looking for Scabbers. He was looking for Pettigrew.

Without letting the others see, she left the Common Room trying to steadily find Remus's office. It could've waited until the morning, but her fuzzy brain didn't want to. She had to tell him. She felt her vision blurring a bit, so she quickly leaned on a door to an empty classroom.

Out of nowhere, the door opened and she was roughly pulled into the classroom.

Glancing over, she almost screamed at the man staring back at her with a grin that almost seemed manic. Lorelei felt herself sober up very quickly when she looked into his eyes.

"Hello, Lorelei," he started. "I don't have long. Can you help your uncle out?"