- 1 2 - QUIDDITCH TRIALS

QUIDDITCH TRIALS WERE COMING SOON

QUIDDITCH TRIALS WERE COMING SOON. There was little to no way all of the second-years would make it on the team unless they all played very well. Lorelei was panicking that her practice hadn't been enough.

Oliver Wood, a fourth-year, approached the group on the morning of trials. He smirked at the bunch.

"I've heard a lot of talk about you lot trying out. Should I expect greatness?" Oliver said with a teasing grin sitting next to the fearful looking second-years, well the girls looked fearful.

Fred and George puffed out their chests. George rolled his eyes and said, "Nothing less from a Weasley."

"Right. Charlie's brothers. Spoke very highly of you two. And Lorelei, of course," Oliver said looking at her. "Mermaids can play Quidditch?"

"This one can," Lorelei said with a confidence she didn't know she had.

Oliver grinned. "Be on the pitch in twenty minutes in gear. We'll see how you lot do."

Once he was gone, Angelina let out a loud breath. "Good, Merlin. He's scary."

"Is he?" Fred said with a wave of his hand. "Not at all."

"Come on. Let's go get ready," Alicia said with a bit of doubt in her voice.

The group of Gryffindors made it to the changing rooms. Lee went to the stands to support his friends. Lorelei pulled on the Quidditch robes that were worn for tryouts and felt her nerves bubble over. She was glad she had her broomsticks or she would've collapsed.

"Alright! Before we get started, let's take a few laps around the pitch so I can observe your flying," Oliver shouted.

Lorelei found her footing and flew up in the air. She saw the twins already flying far ahead. She kicked off and began her laps.

After a few minutes of pure flying, Oliver had already kicked some people out. This made Lorelei gulp. She hadn't even known he was starting that yet. He called for Beaters to stay flying.

Fred and George along with four other boys stayed while the others flew down for a bit to rest. Oliver explained the position, even though he didn't want to, and gave each a bat. Throwing the ball up, he watched each person give the ball their best whack.

He had knocked out two of the boys right then. The next task was to practice hitting it at a target. Once they went through that, another boy was sent packing as he couldn't hit the target once.

The final task was hitting a moving target. Fred had missed one out of five. George had missed none. But the other bloke had missed three.

Oliver said something to Fred and George making the boys yell out happily and fly around the pitch in victory. Oliver shook his head but held a small smile on his lips at the pair.

Flying down, he decided to do Chasers next. There were a fair few people trying out for this. The girl who was on the team the year prior, Patricia Nester, smirked at those around her. It was obvious she would stay on the team, but she still had to try out.

"Nester! Help me get Quaffles out. We are going to test flying with the ball first. Weasleys! Don't go far. I'll be needing you in a moment!" Oliver called.

Lorelei flew with ease with the Quaffle. The first task didn't seem hard to her, but many witches and wizards failed that. Oliver sent them out quickly. The next task was keeping the Quaffle in one's possession while others try to steal it. It was Patricia and Oliver on either side of each Chaser trying out.

Angelina held out the longest with keeping the Quaffle in her control. Oliver and Patricia couldn't get it from her grasp.

The next task was throwing it in the hoops. After those who failed dramatically in the last task, Lorelei was still here thankfully. She did okay, but she knew she could do better. Her throwing, however, was almost perfect. Even Oliver, who played Keeper, had trouble blocking some of Lorelei's shots.

"Keep it up, Calypso!" Fred shouted somewhere flying around her.

George yelled out, "Yeah, Lor!"

The next task, after those who couldn't throw the ball left, was to try and avoid Beaters. Fred and George were told to try and hit the Chasers. But not to harm them, of course.

Lorelei felt better when she saw Fred had narrowly missed her with the Bludger. She swiftly flew to the hoops and threw the Quaffle in where Wood wasn't guarding.

Giving it one more go, she and Angelina decided to pass it to each other as they avoided Bludgers from the damn twins. The twins were thoroughly enjoying this. When Lorelei had made a final pass to Angelina, Lorelei heard Oliver shout, "Watch out!"

Lorelei felt the Bludger hit her roughly on the back making a loud pop be heard, but Lorelei shrugged it off and kept flying. Oliver raised his eyebrows; he was impressed.

"Try not to kill me, George!" Lorelei shouted in passing.

Oliver had gone down to set up the Seekers. Lorelei flew around looking at the five leftover Chasers. Angelina, Alicia, Patricia, and Lorelei were only four. The other man was someone Lorelei hadn't met before.

It wasn't until Oliver flew back up to the group and pointed at the guy saying to leave. He looked at the rest of them and smirked. "Johnson and Calypso will take the two Chaser spots. Spinnet will be back-up. Weasleys as Beaters. I'm just trying to find a Seeker. They are all seventh-years. Next year, I'll need a new one. That'll be the only thing to replace. Good work to you all! Hang around for a bit." With that, he flew to watch the Seekers while Patricia followed.

Fred whooped loudly. "We did it! Second-years! What 'till mum hears!"

Lorelei couldn't wait to practice. She was determined to prove that she could do it no matter how much the Slytherins say against her. Because once they found out she was playing, they demanded half-breeds be banned. Pucey walked out of detention with a black eye from Angelina.