- 1 6 3 - A CHOICE

TO SAY HARRY ALMOST TACKLED LORELEI WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

TO SAY HARRY ALMOST TACKLED LORELEI WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Embry, being the sweet boy he was, ran forward to push the boy off, but Lorelei only laughed at Harry when he stopped to glance questionably at the new face. Lorelei pulled him into her own hug after that, mumbling Embry's name and that she found him in the water on her mission.

Embry was to stay in Gryffindor for the time being while Lorelei could stay where she wanted, Gryffindor being the obvious choice. McGonagall seemed to have taken a liking to Embry right away. When Embry would go for small tutoring sessions, he always came back with new stories about the twins, Lee, and Lorelei from McGonagall. This made Lorelei beam.

Lorelei was like a new celebrity, students who knew her were trying to speak to her and others were trying to introduce themselves. Embry was soaking up the new attention, his American accent standing out over all the British accents.

Harry was surprised to see her stomach when she finally got the courage to show her family. Ron grinned widely, pulling her into a hug while Ginny squealed loudly. So much like their brothers, they spoke to her stomach as if the baby would speak back. Hermione smiled softly at Ron's face, and Lorelei saw the same expression on Harry's face as he watched Ginny. She was noticing a new dynamic in their group.

The first week of examinations, Embry was groaning because of how much work he was doing. McGonagall had told Lorelei during dinner one night how smart Embry actually was when she would sit with the staff at the staff table.

Ginny had even taken the liberty to study with Embry some nights. Lorelei enjoyed watching Harry's face when she would go off with him to the library. She would tease him relentlessly, loving the look on his face as it became red.

Lorelei was having such a good time in Hogwarts again. The Hogsmeade day, George was waiting in Hogsmeade bright and early for his fiancée. Embry, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny tagged along, Harry holding Lorelei's arm as they walked. Harry had been taking extra care of the mermaid, afraid something was going to happen with his accusations against Malfoy. After the poison and cursed necklace scare, even Lorelei was worried.

The day before Embry and Lorelei would return to the flat above the shop, Lorelei decided to take a stroll alone around the castle. Today, she wore black leggings, boots, and Fred's red shirt. With a hand on her stomach, she walked aimlessly.

She was nearing the seventh floor when she heard quiet sobbing from the nearby boy's lavatory.

Furrowing her brows, she debated whether or not to go in, it being the boy's bathroom after all, but curiosity won. Walking through the door, she knocked politely to let the person know she was there.

She was thoroughly surprised to see Draco Malfoy with his wand pointed at her while tears ran down his face like a river.

Lorelei quickly raised one hand to show she had no wand in her hand while the other rested firmly on her growing bump. Malfoy quickly glanced at her face, recognition lighting up his features. Then, he glanced at her stomach, pain quickly filling his eyes.

Draco had been given a mission by the Dark Lord. Since his father's failure in the Hall of Prophecies, Draco was the only chance for the Malfoy name to rise again. He couldn't fail.

As he stared at his very pregnant cousin's face, he wanted nothing more than to break down. He hadn't thought this through. She was still in the castle. She would get hurt.

He lowered his wand when she spoke. "P-Please, I heard crying... I didn't mean to intrude," she stated softly. She was perfect in his eyes, something he hated because he wasn't. She did one thing he could never do: she got out of the Black's reign. Was she ever really in it? No. But she could've found her estranged family and became like Bellatrix or Walburga. No, she wasn't like them at all. She was like Sirius and Andromeda. She was good.

"I won't hurt you," he said stiffly, shoving his wand in his robes and furiously wiping his face from the tears. He didn't want her to see him like this. "Sorry, I've been rather tense, I suppose."

"I know the feeling," she murmured, leaning on the wall behind her as he turned to face the mirror. Something was different from the Slytherin who would make fun of her for her blood and wasted no time in helping to kill her crab. Something was off about him. Was Harry right? Lorelei watched him intently. He bent over to wash his face, looking up to see her still staring at him when their eyes locked. "Mal--Draco. Are you all right?" He watched as she rubbed her stomach soothingly. Suddenly, he felt lonely. He felt as if his own mother wouldn't care if he just died to save all the pain he would cause soon.

He, out of nowhere, began to sob once more. Lorelei found herself quickly walking over to him, taking his body into hers as she hugged him. He wrapped his arms firmly around her, sobbing into her neck.

"I know, I know, shh," she soothed, letting her hand move in an up and down motion on the back of his hair. "Everything is complete and utter shite right now."

He seemed to bawl harder at that. She had no idea what he had to do.

Soon, his brain began to function again as he backed away from her. Wiping his eyes again, he spoke firmly, "You have to get out of here. Lorelei, they don't know you're pregnant, and they won't care."

"Who, Draco? What are you on about?" Lorelei spoke quietly, glancing once at his forearm. His shirt had ridden up a bit, and when he caught her gaze, he quickly covered it. "I-I see."

"Please, nothing can happen to you or that baby," he pleaded, needing her to listen. He placed his own palm on her stomach, hoping to Merlin the baby turns out exactly like the blood-traitor Weasley or her. He hoped the baby would stay good, something he seemed to never be able to do. For once, he was trying. He had to get Lorelei out before it was too late. "Lorelei, please."

Lorelei only could nod. Her mind was running too quick for her to catch up. She had to find Harry. She had to find Dumbledore or McGonagall or even Snape! Something was about to happen, and Lorelei was nowhere near fit to fight. She backed away from Draco, watching his eyes deflate.

She shook her head at him. "You always have a choice, Draco. You must remember that."

With that, she turned and bolted toward Gryffindor Common Room.

-
A/N

Hello! If you follow me, you've (hopefully) gotten the notification that I've published another fanfiction I've been working on. "Time Turner" is a Sirius Black love interest story in the Marauders' Era. I've posted a synopsis of the story already. It will not be updated as much as this story due to me finishing this one (yes, :( we're nearing the end). I hope to have the first chapter out tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you for the lovely votes and comments! It means a lot!

Happy reading!