I'll join you in a month.

Alec's POV

I stared at the ceiling as I have for the past few weeks. It still looked like the first day and yet it was more interesting than anything else in this cell. I didn't feel like being here anymore. It was lonely and boring. Nothing happened here except a few brawls every now and then. However, I was never there because I stayed away from arguments. My lawyer had advised me to do that.

I missed my friends. No, I missed my family. We had lived together for years and did everything together and now they were no longer here. Who knows, maybe I would never see them again. It would be possible because everyone thought I was the killer.

"You know, I think if I get out of here, I'll start over." said Hodge, who was also next to me. I now knew that Hodge was here because of drugs and assault. It wasn't his first time here because every time he came out he did it again. "An apartment, a job and a family. I want that." he let me know. I didn't look at him, because I usually didn't when we were talking.

"How many times have you said that?" I wanted to know. It was definitely not easy to get back in line after years in prison. It is not uncommon for people to come back after a month.

"I'm actually saying this for the first time." he answered. Now I looked at him. That surprised me. "I always knew I would end up here again, but this time I want to make it. I have to get my life under control." he explained to me. That was cool, I thought. Not everyone had this strength.

"I'm sure you can do it." I let him know. I liked Hodge. He had made many mistakes, but in his heart he was a good person. He was just broken because he had no one. "You deserve the beautiful life." I said and he smiled. He only had a month here left. He had been sitting here for several years already.

"You too, my boy." he said. I sighed. A normal life sounded tempting, but it was too late for that. I was in the middle of it. I couldn't just go into hiding. I would always get everyone in trouble. "You shouldn't be here." he let me know.

Hodge knew why I was here and he knew I hadn't committed this murder. I couldn't prove it wasn't me, but he believed me.

"And yet I'm here now." I said, even if it wasn't fair. I had made mistakes so I was not wrong to be here. I probably even deserved it. "A normal life has never worked for me." I explained to him.

"Oh, nonsense! You just never tried it." he answered me. "This boy, what was his name again? Mark?" he asked and I grinned.

"Magnus." I corrected him. I had told him a lot about Magnus, because at least I thought about him a lot. He liked to listen to me and he liked Magnus without even knowing him.

"Exactly, Magnus. Try things again with him. If you see him on the street, speak to him. Ask him about a new date, whether he has a new girlfriend or not. After everything you told me, you two seem like you're meant for each other." he said. I grinned. That would be nice, but unfortunately the reality wasn't like that.

We heard our cell unlocked and we both sat up. We already had breakfast so no one should be here now. The door opened and one of the guards stood there. Hodge and I gave each other confused looks.

"Alec Lightwood. You are now officially released. You can go." said the guard, and I looked at him in surprise. My heart beat a little faster. How so? How could that be? It was impossible.

"There must be a mistake." I explained but he shook his head. I got up, and so did Hodge. He smiled at me. "You see! I told you you didn't belong here." said Hodge, patting me on the shoulder. I didn't understand all of this.

"The charges have been dropped. They have already caught the murderer." the guard said and I started to smile. I felt this infinite relief because I was free. They had the real murderer and I it wasn't me. "You can change and then you can go. Say goodbye." he let me know. I turned to Hodge.

"Do something with your life, boy. I'll join you in a month." he said and put his hand on my shoulder. Hodge was very inspiring. He seemed wise and intelligent. I smiled and nods

"Thanks, Hodge." I said and he just nodded. I left my cell with a smile.

The guard led me to a room where the convicts' clothes were. Even mine that I was wearing when I was arrested. As always, I was wearing a simple black hoodie with blue jeans. The cool fabric was on my skin and I enjoyed it. The clothes here weren't really my style.

I couldn't get much back because I had everything in the apartment anyway. So I was finally allowed to go. Back home. Were Blake and Elliott still in that apartment? I hoped otherwise I would never find them again. They probably didn't even know that I was free.

The door opened and I felt the cool air hitting my skin. It was a different feeling when you were locked up. You appreciated it more. The sun dazzled me and it was pretty warm outside. I heard cars driving on the streets.

Once I got used to the sun, I could see more. My heart stopped when I saw two medium-sized guys waiting for me. Elliott and Blake. My family. They smiled at me and I smiled back. I went down the stairs and Elliott ran towards me.

He jumped into my arms and hugged me tightly. Oh, how much I missed him, even if I wasn't gone that long. He clung to me and it was almost difficult not to fall. He let go of me and laughed broadly at me.

"Man, I missed you so much. I really thought you could never get out of there." he said. Yes, I thought so too. He went to the side and now Blake could hug me. The two meant so much to me.

"Unfortunately you won't get rid of us." Blake said when he let go of me and I laughed. Both stood in front of me and I was shining. I was happy to be with them again. I was glad I didn't have to be locked up forever, even if I made mistakes.

"Was that you? Did you get me out of there? How did you do it?" I asked. Both smiled and looked at each other. Blake and Elliott certainly had their tricks, but their opponent was the police. It was not easy.

"We had help." Elliott said now. I frowned.

"Do you think these guys alone would get you out of there?" I heard someone say behind me. I would recognize this voice anytime, anywhere. I didn't want to turn around because I didn't know if my heart could take it, but I did and he actually stood there.