Not a Lie

I wondered what she would tell me. It clearly wasn't nothing. And I'm no expert but it didn't look like a car crash or animal attack. They were too precise, too varied in-depth to be one occasion.

"I don't know"

No. That wasn't true. She knew. She just didn't know what to say.

"I won't make you tell me," I reassured

Her features relaxed a bit and she stopped rubbing her arms.

"May I see?" I said reaching out but not touching her.

"Don't touch them. Please" she pleaded.

"I won't I just want to check your wrist," I said

She placed her hand in mine and looked at me expectantly. I held the back of her palm and examined her wrist. I hadn't realized it last night but her wrist had plenty of scars too. They were pointed. Needle looking. Some smaller cuts but they were ragged like they were accidental and cut with a jagged object. I pushed her hand up and she twisted her wrist around slowly. It must not have been a bad sprain if she's comfortable. Or it could have healed faster. But I wouldn't be surprised if she was just so used to pain that she didn't react.

"Does it hurt?"I asked.

"N-not anymore" she responded

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I let go of her wrist and noticed she was holding her arms closer to herself. She was trying to cover her arms.

"Here why don't we go buy you a jacket? Just that for now. To hold you over?" I suggested as I headed towards the elevator and gestured for her to follow me.

"N-no it's okay.I- I don't need-" She began but I cut her off.

"Nonsense. If you're uncomfortable it's my job to fix that. Besides, you didn't seem to have any warmer clothes in that bag of yours." I justified myself in my normal tone.

"I-I'm fine." She was certainly bent on not taking anything.

Why though? She could be afraid of me? Or afraid of the public? But if it's one of those the other is most likely true as well. Maybe she's afraid of change. The doctor has told me that I don't adapt to change well. So maybe that's what she is dealing with? But she did change into Mazikeen's clothes without any sort of complaint.

"Are you afraid of the public?" I asked, really trying to find why she didn't want new clothes. Isn't every female obsessed with shopping?

"U-um I-" she was rubbing her arms again.

She doesn't like her scars! But I don't have any clothes that would cover her arms. Not any comfortable ones. 

"Here. Take this" I said as I stripped my blazer and handed it to her.

She was shaking. Dear father, this child shakes a lot.

"I-It's yours." 

"Why do you insist on not accepting my help?" I asked

"I- I shouldn't be here. You probably don't want me here and I'm probably ruining your life" She spewed out.