Chapter 21 - Brooke

It’s been a full week of ignoring, avoiding, and timing my arrivals home to completely avoid Deacon. But by Friday, I emerge from the stairwell door to find him sitting down, and leaning heavily against my door. His head’s hanging down, the hood of his jumper completely covering him, while his arms lie lifelessly on the tops of his knees in his ripped jeans. The image grips at my chest, and I swallow past the drought in my throat, shoving aside every feeling that tries to creep up with him being here. His head flies up to me the moment my heels click on the floor, and he’s on his feet in a second after, his hand flashing up to rip his hood away.

Unfortunately for him, I’m not alone.

“Hey you, what are you doing waiting out here for us? Don’t tell me you’re suspicious about Brooke’s date tonight, and are here to vet the guy too?..”

He looks completely lost for words for a moment, his eyes still on me while he shoves his hands into the pockets of his jeans, before nodding his head as a reply at Penny.

“.. Well, you and me both, buddy. Can’t be to careful these days, there are a lot out there that are out to break ya, or rip ya off.”

My mind is speaking before my mouth can catch it, and as I mumble the words, I see Deacon’s hands come out of his pockets while they curl into fists by his side.

You’re right about that..

I continue to ignore him, as Penny and I make our way to the door. Even the words he replies back to Penny don't register, and I don't have the slightest idea what’s being said around me. My breathing is shallow as I lean past him to get my key in the lock, shutting my senses off to how good he smells. That earthy tone, mixed with a certain hint of cinnamon. My ears turn off, trying to block out his gravelly voice as he breathes my name out lightly, desperately attempting to get my attention. With the door open, I don’t pause as I enter, and start depositing my bag and shoes along the way. Heading straight for the bedroom to escape, my voice calls back over my shoulder as I round the corner.

“Just having a shower, make yourselves comfy there.”

The water feels good on my skin, wiping away the day, and I close my eyes, trying to wash my mind clear too.

I’ve done so well in avoiding Deacon this week, what is he even doing here??

I know he’s been trying to catch me for days, and I have half his schedule committed to memory, so that the longer hours at work have been working out pretty nicely for me.

I try not to think too much on how he look just sitting there, his head hanging down, while his arms rested on his bent knees.

If I didn’t know any better I would swear he looked broken..

But he’s Deacon, master of the bang and go.

There’s no way in the world I managed to effect him so much, that I actually cracked that hard exterior... He’s the expert in all this. Just another day to him, right?.. Or have I actually gotten into him?... No, nope, no.

Don't go there, Brooke. He's made his position abundantly clear.

Turning in the shower, my hand finds the tap, the warmer water distracting me and pulling me from my thoughts. No good can come of them, anyway.

Deacon’s eyes almost pop out of his head as he turns round, and fully takes me in. I can’t say I blame him, it’s one hell of a dress. The fabric is like soft butter, falling lightly, and delicately along my skin. Almost shimmering in the light, and begging the looker to feel how soft it is.