Chapter 25 - Brooke

My ass has almost completely frozen off, as I stand in the freezing cold waiting for Deacon, and his late butt.

I mean you could honestly just snap a chunk off right now...

My brain's too busy hurling abusive remarks, ready to mumble one off when he eventually gets here, and his promise that he's just five minutes away. When that was fifteen fracking minutes ago... That I completely miss my ever constant shadow as he slides up beside me.

And I use the words ‘beside me' loosely.

He's against my side, his chest brushing up hard against my arm as I shift my eyes slowly over to him.

Maybe if I just ignore him, he will magically disappear..

His breath almost knocks me out when he opens his mouth to speak, clearly taking Jenny's drinks in the office for her birthday that I skipped out on early, a little too seriously. I mean it's a Tuesday people.

Holy.. How is he even still standing with the heavy scotch breath he has going on right now??

“Hey Brooke's, what are you doing out here on your own?”  

Waiting for my stupid non-boyfriend to pick my ass up, before he has to scrape me away from the wall I'm leaning on as I've frozen against it, duh.

“Just waiting for my ride.”

He leans a little harder into me, his hand coming up to rub at his jaw, while he tilts his head to half block my sight. He looks pretty far gone, and my knee closest to him bends on it's own, prepared to nail him hard if he tries anything.

I have some serious trust issues with the look he’s giving me right now.

His voice is more than slurred, the words blending in together to almost form one weird sentence.

“I can give you a ride. My car's over there, ready and waiting... Well, it’s around here somewhere..”

Yeahhhh, nope.

Hard, hard pass, matey.

His eyes blink a few times, completely lost on where the hell his car actually is. He’s actually doing remarkably well at staying up right, barely even a wobble, although he seems to be more than half using me to stay that way.

“I’m not entirely sure you should be driving right now, I can smell half a brewery on your breath, David.. Not to mention you’re practically crushing me. Maybe, a cab would be better?”

His head drops as he looks down at the two of us, and the fact he’s leaning damn hard into me, a sheepish smile spreading over his mouth. He shifts, but only marginally, moving himself to stand more in front of me. David’s head tilts again, as one of his hands comes up to lean on the wall beside my head, the smile still plastered on his face. 

“You’re always thinking of other’s Brooke’s.. If you call me cab, I will happily take it, although I may need some help getting into it... and getting inside my place..”

His eyes drop to take me in, slowly dragging over my entire front before coming back up to my face.

“I’m fairly sure you can manage, you got down here ok... and besides Deacon should be here any moment to pick me up.”

I try a quick small smile at him to be polite, and not wanting to give him any leeway to take it the wrong way, however it just encourages him more. His leg shifts, firmly blocking my Plan A, while his chest comes to press into mine. So much so, that I can feel the heavy draws of breath he’s taking, how slow and steady they are. It's the boldest he's ever been so far, and I curse the liquid courage running through him right now.