Chapter 42 - Brooke

My couch has been fully taken over by the time I’m done, the time ticking away while I was getting ready much, much faster than I would have thought.

Although it's Deacon, a man who's already seen every side there is to me, I'm still fracking nervous.

So much so, my palms are beginning to sweat, and I wave them uselessly in front of me as I try to dry them. Dom’s well into the movie he’s picked, the bowl of chips resting on the small coffee table in front of him, while he’s completely sprawled out under a rug. Looking way too much at home already...

Coughing a little to get his attention, he’s a flurry of limbs as he attempts to straighten up enough to face me. The half slouched position not helping him in the slightest.  

“So... how do I look?”

His eyes widen as he gets a good look at me, before flying them up to the celling, and I take that to be a encouraging non verbal response.

Shit, Brooke... Can’t you wear a long parker, and heavy mum jeans? I hear turtle necks are very much back in fashion at the moment, not to mention provide a fuck load more coverage.

Raising my eyebrow, my hands run to smooth down my open leather jacket combo before shaking my head lightly at him.

“Thanks, bro. I'll take all that as, I look awesome... Oh, and don’t wait up by the way.”

I’m half way to the door, my steps halting as I hear him rustle again.

“You really ok after all this crap today?... It's just us, and you know you can't lie to me... Seriously B, it's ok to be scared, it's ok to be pissed, hell it's ok if you wanna go all crazy on his ass.. or it's ok if you just need a hug..”

Sighing, my boots spin on the floor to turn my body around to face him, only mildly annoyed that I still haven't got anyone to believe me yet.

I know I should be all those things, and probably a few more.. but I'm actually alright.

Ok, I could curl up into a tight ball, and let myself think about the what ifs. The things that could have happened if the guys hadn't shown up, or if I didn't slow him down. The things he was trying to do, the things that unstable mind of his thought I actually wanted him to do to me, or I could focus on something else.

That this crap with David, is actually over.

I'm finally able to breathe the sigh of relief that’s been caught inside my lungs for way, way too long. That the stress of how exactly to deal with it all, is gone. I have survived so much worse, and I'll be dammed if he's the one that takes me down.

However, I don't need to say a word to Dom.

He's watching me carefully from his position on the couch, a small smile spreading wider before he shakes his head slightly.

“.. You look good, far more than I really approve of, B... Have fun tonight, and if his severe nerves are anything to go by, you’re in for a good one too. Just remember that most noise travels through walls though, and I'm highly impressionable.”

My hand finds the door to the roof, that I honestly didn’t even know you could come out on to, the air inside me seizing the second I step out into the starlit sky.

It’s breathtaking...

The space on the roof is kinda small, curving in such a way that it gives us shelter from the icy chill of the night, but it’s what he’s done up here that makes it incredible. Little dots of light shine from the small jars containing varying sizes of candles that are scattered around, creating a soft glow over everything they touch. There’s an assortment of cushions arranged in a semi circle, encasing a pile of soft looking blankets spread between them.... However, the most amazing thing is what they’re facing. The large sheet that’s hung between two poles, providing a make shift screen, and perfect for the little projector he’s set up. A wide grin comes across my face, my eyes squeezing shut, as my teeth bite the corner of my lip.

Under no circumstances can I start squealing right now, but holy cow, this isn’t just amazing....

It’s perfect...

Deacon’s throat clears gently, and I open my eyes back up to see him standing in front of me, holding two beers in one of his hands. I don’t even need to think about it, and take the few steps between us quickly before I fling my arms around his neck. His face finding the crook of my shoulder as his arms wrap tightly around me, encasing me securely against him.

“This is... Wow, it’s... I love it, Deac.”

His warm breath fans across my skin as he chuckles, before pulling himself back to really see me. My smile grows once more as his free hand runs along my jaw, sliding it to wrap around the back of my neck. I’m already moving before he even starts to lean down towards me, coming up on tippy toes to meet his lips.