Chapter 28 - Brooke

My hands finish tying the knot in the small flannel top before I spin in the mirror, Penny clapping encouragement the entire time. Since she rocked up this morning I haven’t been able to get rid of her.     

Which really isn’t surprising, as after Dom left for London, she’s taken it upon herself every year to make sure I have more fun than I can handle for my birthday.

I'm honestly ok, although I have never been able to convince either of them of that. I came to terms with what happened to my parents a long time ago, and adopted Dom's reaction of honouring their memory in the way I think they would want me to.

And that's to have an outrageously good time every year.

Bringing it up to Deacon today hurt less than I thought it would though. I mean I don’t often share what happened, and I think I can count on one hand, the number of people I have ever told that story to before... I know I should feel weird him knowing, or at least in how easy it was for me to open up to him, but weirdly I don't.

I actually really like that he knows.

“I’m having a love, hate relationship with you in that outfit right now.. and I also want your perky ass.. That can't seriously be all you..”

My eyes roll playfully in her direction, while I have a good look in the mirror at my birthday outfit. The small denim shorts, that Deacon always stares solidly at, set off the dark brown cowboy boots, as well as my long legs wonderfully. While the tiny long sleeved, dark blue flannel shirt looks amazing, with the soft curling waves Penny managed to get my hair to do. I still have utterly no idea how she did it, but she may have to repeat it more often, although minus the shimmering glitter she put through it.

I have the feeling I’ll be washing that out for days, but cheekily, I can’t wait to infect Deacon with it too.

He'd look good sparkly... 

The blonde strands fall in soft sheets, and despite the long length, they curl delicately around my face, and over my shoulders. One of her arm hangs itself over my shoulder as she leans herself into me, eyeing us both in the mirror.

“.. We are a damn sexy looking bunch of cowgirls, hun.”

Laughing, I roll my eyes again, but I completely agree with her. She looks damn good too. She’s almost matching. Her hair, shorts, and boots the same, but instead of blue, she has a red flannel shirt knotted to show off a smaller section of midriff. Whereas mine finishes up a little higher on my non-existent abs, before showing off a larger chunk of my flat, toned stomach.

Thank you Pilates.

You’re a bitch, but worth it.

Both our head turn as the door pounds, and she releases me to go answer it, as it’s most likely the guys. My boots swivel on the carpet, turning to have one final look, before shifting to face the door as I hear Penny. Her words are almost whispered, and already have me moving towards the door, even before she raises her voice to call out to me.

Oh, my god... you didn’t.. She’s going to be floored, seriously... Brooke, you may wanna come out here, hun.”

She sounds weird, way off, and nothing like her normal self. I'm rushing faster to the door, my mind whirling with the possibilities of what could be wrong. My boots stop when I see them, while I full on just stand there and blink, completely understanding Pen’s weirdness now.

How... how did he pull this off...

Deacon’s grin is wide and my eyes carefully glide down, then across, as I take each and everyone of them in. Seth and Ty’s throats clear out as they strike a dramatic pose, and I’m breathless. The air leaving me while the huge, teeth on full show, smile takes over my face.