Chapter 41 - Deacon

She bounces away to the bathroom like her normal self, and I stand there as stunned as anything. I'm still just rooted to the same spot, long after I hear the door close, my mind whirling away. The spirit of her somehow flows out and around her apartment, lightening a mood that I though would have lingered for far longer.  

She is by far one of the strongest people I have ever met. Her ability to keep going, and her refusal to let life take things from her, is something to truly marvel at.

"She's more resilient than you think. Honestly, she's one of those rare breeds that just keeps on fucking powering, even when shit comes up for her. Her last few relationships are a prime example of that.. but if it makes you feel any better, I'll keep an eye on her while you get your 'date' set up. Not that she needs it, but I was going to do that anyway."

My head finally moves, my eyes coming over to watch him perched on the end of her couch, his head hanging while he runs his hands through his hair. They really are both something. He's hiding it well, but I saw the terrified look he had on his face, while running beside me up those stairs.

"Thanks.. I think the adrenaline is still pumping through me, but I'm worried as shit leaving her again, and fucking nervous about what I had planned for our date."

Dom's head slowly rises as he half turns to face me, his eyes narrowing down the longer he looks at me.

"If that was you asking for her hand, it's not well thought out, so my answer's no... However, going by the stunned look once more plastered on your face, I'd say it ain't... She seems her happiest when you're right beside her, so whatever it is that you've got planned, I'd say she's going to love it. Now out with you, and go set your shit up. I'll watch her."

My head's shaking as I move to leave, having the feeling that if I don't start moving soon, he's going to kick my ass out.

It takes me longer to haul everything up than I thought, and I'm glad that I took the chance to get changed before I started. My hands rake through my hair, while I eyeball everything, hoping that I have it all perfect for her.

I really don't wanna fuck this up.

The door creaks open, and her blonde head appears, just as I'm fishing out a couple of beers from the small esky. She's a vision as always, and steals my breath away the very second I see her, completely mesmerising me while I watch her step out. I'm not entirely sure she's seen me but the moment her eyes shut, that lip of hers coming into bite, I smile.

She really is effortlessly beautiful, but it's not only that.

When she's with you, she's completely herself. Open, honest, and unapologetically real. She's not afraid to show the world the whole of herself.

I've spent years not wanting myself to feel for anyone else again, shutting myself off from the hurt that came with that, but her.....

All I know for sure is that I've fallen hard for her, and I pray that she feels the same.

She blew through my thoughts from the first moment I saw her, shattered the casing around my heart the second she opened her mouth, and had me crumpling to my knees as soon as my eyes glimpsed her smile.

Stepping forward, I clear my throat out, her eyes springing open, and a smile shining brightly as she finally spots me. Her arms are around me before I've even moved another step, my face burying itself in her neck as I breath her in. If I could bottle that shit, I completely would. She mumbles her words, and I pull back enough to be able to slide my hand along her jaw to the back of her neck.